Swift 20

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Tremayne
Anchored

Swift 20

Post by Tremayne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 am

Hi there.

My father has purchased what he described to me as a swift 20 and would I (being more internet able) do him the favour of trying to find some information on the boat etc.

My intial searches weren't very fruitful and I tried to tell him that there really wasn't such a thing and that it was probably an owner-modified swift 18. He wasn't having it and I kept trying. Looking at this site (which appears incredibly useful for swift owners) I'm now thinking that he is probably right - as I can see mention of few different length versions. The only shame of it all is that he's never used a computer.

Dad's new boat as far as I can see is a swift 18 but with a 2ft waterline extension at the stern. The name of his new toy is Merrily May and was bought from an agent in Woodbridge, Suffolk.

If anyone has any information about Swift 18's that are actually 20ft long - I'd be (we'd both be!) really appreciative.

regards

Tremayne

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Tremayne,
Google in Swift 23 you will find a picture of one for sale (now sold) at Boatshed.com. perhaps this is what your father purchased?
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Tremayne
Anchored

Post by Tremayne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:28 am

hiya - and thanks for the response.

Yes - Dad's boat looks very much like the Swift 23 in that advert. However, it was definitely marketed and sold to him as being 20ft ! Which is a bit odd.

Speaking to him this morning - he says the paperwork confirms it was built by Marlin ( I think around 1990 ).

As per previous - if anyone is able to shed any light on this, that would really be appreciated.

( and yes, I'm going round there with a tape measure! )

Tremayne

Tremayne
Anchored

Post by Tremayne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 am

Having studied a piccy of Dad's '20ft' boat and a pic of a swift 23 - I'm now almost certain that he's ended up getting 3ft for free! He's not grumbling - just a bit odd the seller wouldn't know how long their boat was!

If anyone would like to comment on the difference, I'm sure he'd love the information. Is it simply an 18 with a bit stuck on the stern?

regards

(and thanks again to cherry pie !)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Have a trawl through the newsletters in the library section I think you will find information there re: Swift 23 (Newsletter 40)

Rondonay
Cruising

Swift 20

Post by Rondonay » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 pm

It could be the boat I nearly bought in Ipswich years ago! I can' t be sure of the name at this distance in time. The stern has an extension that could act as a boarding platform and there is a tiny heads compartment to starboard?  I do not know how many were made but I liked the boat a lot, and it made me look for a Swift, which we bought a year or so later.
Reason for not buying was basically we were not quite ready to commit.
I think the longer waterline in the 20 would enhance performance, but there will be others on here who are much more knowledgeable than I am and will, no doubt, have more to add.

I still occasionally look round our cabin and wonder how on earth the 20 managed a heads in the space!

On 11 August 2010 09:19, Tremayne <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:
Hi there.

My father has purchased what he described to me as a swift 20 and would I (being more internet able) do him the favour of trying to find some information on the boat etc.

My intial searches weren't very fruitful and I tried to tell him that there really wasn't such a thing and that it was probably an owner-modified swift 18. He wasn't having it and I kept trying. Looking at this site (which appears incredibly useful for swift owners) I'm now thinking that he is probably right - as I can see mention of few different length versions. The only shame of it all is that he's never used a computer.

Dad's new boat as far as I can see is a swift 18 but with a 2ft waterline extension at the stern. The name of his new toy is Merrily May and was bought from an agent in Woodbridge, Suffolk.

If anyone has any information about Swift 18's that are actually 20ft long - I'd be (we'd both be!) really appreciative.

regards

Tremayne

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Tremayne
Anchored

Post by Tremayne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:52 pm

It probably is that one from Ipswich. 'Boarding platform' or 'Diving platform' is exactly how dad described it to me. I do a fair bit of scuba diving so I think he was just trying to tempt me. Silly dad - should know I'd never go diving in the UK!

Latest news - the previous owner has very kindly passed a note to dad via the agent explaining a bit more info (it's all happening today!). The boat was a prototype and ended up in the boat show in something like 1990. I haven't seen the note but it's got some really useful info on the history.

Interesting you mention performance etc - I asked him what the point was (found it hard to imagine it owuld make much difference) but he felt it should make it handle a little better.

nickf
Under way

SWIFT 20

Post by nickf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 pm

I have an original advertisement for the Swift 18 +20 I could copy it and send it to you It has pictures of the Swift 20 I do not have a scanner so you would have to tell me where to send a copy

Cheers Nick
Nicholas

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

swift 18/20

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi, When I built my swift, I had the moulds to make the swift 18 into a swift 20.! A swift 20 is a standard swift 18 with an !extra! ,The extra being a two foot rear platform.(SUGAR SCOOP) bolted and bonded onto the stern transom, this was to help sail handling, and also to help reboarding when swimming .Having looked at the mount of work involved to make it ,and to fit it on to the boat, I decided not to bother. The swift 20 is the same as the 18 but with a sugar scoop.!! If yours is over 20foot, you might have the next size up, IE.. the swift 23.?and yes,it has a larger cabin etc.. REGARDS MIKE IN SUNNY NORFOLK

Tremayne
Anchored

Post by Tremayne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 am

Hello Nick - that is a really kind offer and one which I know my dad would genuinely appreciate. He's 80yrs old and its fair to say this is probably his last boat and he's quite excited about it (the Swift20 - not the fact it might be his last boat!!!). His details are; Aleck Johnson, Mill Farm, Mill Lane, Woolpit, Suffolk, IP30 9QX.

Mike - following the initial confusion (mostly caused by me doubting there was such a thing as a swift 20!) it's now absolutely clear that he's become the proud owner of a swift20. Funny you mention it, as to start with I told him that someone had probably got an 18 and stuck an extension on. Apart from making him pretty cross - he said that it was too good a job and the scoop must have been a part of the original build.

Thanks for the response - really appreciated.

Tremayne

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 am

As a matter of interest there is a Swift 20 for sale now on ebay Item number: 320574044337

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Swift 20

Post by John Hainsworth » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Tremayne,

Glad to hear that your dad's still at it.

I'm 72 and have just got a Swift 20 to replace a Skipper 17.

The Swift is far livelier but very stable.

I'm using an old Skipper Genoa to save being over-powered by the standard issue Swift genoa and have sailed single handed in 25 knots without any trouble.

Cheers John

On 12/08/2010 09:44, Tremayne wrote:
Hello Nick - that is a really kind offer and one which I know my dad would genuinely appreciate. He's 80yrs old and its fair to say this is probably his last boat and he's quite excited about it (the Swift20 - not the fact it might be his last boat!!!). His details are; Aleck Johnson, Mill Farm, Mill Lane, Woolpit, Suffolk, IP30 9QX.

Mike - following the initial confusion (mostly caused by me doubting there was such a thing as a swift 20!) it's now absolutely clear that he's become the proud owner of a swift20. Funny you mention it, as to start with I told him that someone had probably got an 18 and stuck an extension on. Apart from making him pretty cross - he said that it was too good a job and the scoop must have been a part of the original build.

Thanks for the response - really appreciated.

Tremayne

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)