Cookers

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Kevinbwilko
Making way

Cookers

Post by Kevinbwilko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:30 pm

My old Swift has been relined, rewired and ready for water (Windermere on Sunday .. all excited!) The cooker that came with it is well past its best and has the gas pipe through the hull etc. Have read lots of posts but has anybody found a SENSIBLE priced cooker that will fit (Looked at marine cookers starting at £160 and seen camping ones at £50)

OR does anybody use one of those £18 portable gas cylinder single burners .... or is there a reason why one shouldn't. Only really want it for a brew or tin of beans now and then at this stage.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.
Attachments
New interior.JPG
Great going to work at weekend if its using it for pleasure!!!! Recognise these shapes?

gff_cook
Making way

Cookers

Post by gff_cook » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:58 pm

5 years ago replaced the original gas system but kept the burner pan and fiddle in which I fitted a single burner Sun (many different names) cartridge stove (currently under £10 at Towsure – product GZ38).
Great for cuppas and simple meals – idiot-proof (2 switches before fuel released; in-built piezo ignition’s never failed), canisters stored safely outside and, on those freezing winter maintenance days, the heater attachment (extra) warms a Swift in five (mins) – rig a heat shield ‘tho’ to save your headlining!

Sent: 18 March 2010 17:30
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Cookers

My old Swift has been relined, rewired and ready for water (Windermere on Sunday .. all excited!) The cooker that came with it is well past its best and has the gas pipe through the hull etc. Have read lots of posts but has anybody found a SENSIBLE priced cooker that will fit (Looked at marine cookers starting at £160 and seen camping ones at £50)

OR does anybody use one of those £18 portable gas cylinder single burners .... or is there a reason why one shouldn't. Only really want it for a brew or tin of beans now and then at this stage.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Rondonay
Cruising

Cookers

Post by Rondonay » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 am

Hi there, I have an Origo 2 Meths burner now, it cost £160 and is excellent. You could just do a 1 burner for your needs. No way would I use one of the canister gas cookers. The Boat Safety Scheme people rightly warn that they are not safe for boating. a. the fire risk, and b. CO emissions. Meths you can put out with water, and you have lots of that. Do vent the cabin if you are cooking in there at all. :0)

On 18 March 2010 17:30, Kevinbwilko <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Cookers

Post by John Hainsworth » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Kevin,

Camping universe do a double gas burner under £50 which connects to an
external gas bottle.

John

Kevinbwilko wrote:
My old Swift has been relined, rewired and ready for water (Windermere
on Sunday .. all excited!) The cooker that came with it is well past
its best and has the gas pipe through the hull etc. Have read lots of
posts but has anybody found a SENSIBLE priced cooker that will fit
(Looked at marine cookers starting at £160 and seen camping ones at £50)

OR does anybody use one of those £18 portable gas cylinder single
burners .... or is there a reason why one shouldn't. Only really want
it for a brew or tin of beans now and then at this stage.

Attachments:
Great going to work at weekend if its using it for pleasure!!!!
Recognise these shapes?
<http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/f ... or_148.jpg>

Kevinbwilko
Making way

Cooker thanks

Post by Kevinbwilko » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Cheers folks, now not sure what to do. Yes there are many cookers under £50 but don't fit the space. Spirit burner sounds great but expensive. Gas cylinder inbuilt really same as external gas type except cylinder in cabin. Obviously my decision but thanks everybody.
First sail in the the very wet but looking forward to going back to play!

gff_cook
Making way

Cookers

Post by gff_cook » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 am

Hi

Decisions … deci…..!
Not read the safety warning articles, but when my cheapie ‘Sun-type’ cooker’s not ‘on’, the canister (with one spare) is stored on the transom in a capped plastic drainpipe off-cut (– which does look a bit like a rocket launcher!) – with ‘obligatory’ drain hole overboard.
So canister’s aren’t inbuilt.

Sent: 22 March 2010 21:34
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Cookers

Cheers folks, now not sure what to do. Yes there are many cookers under £50 but don't fit the space. Spirit burner sounds great but expensive. Gas cylinder inbuilt really same as external gas type except cylinder in cabin. Obviously my decision but thanks everybody.
First sail in the the very wet but looking forward to going back to play!