Rudyard Lake

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Rudyard Lake

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:32 pm

Had a stroll around Rudyard Lake (Leek) yesterday noticed a couple of Swift 18's moored on the Lake, nice day for a sail. For anyone visiting there is a pay and display car park right by the Lake we paid £1 for an hour. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Peter and Nick
Anchored

Hi gary and Ruth

Post by Peter and Nick » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 pm

The boats you spotted are Swallow the cream hulled one which I joint own with Nick see pics in the gallery. She is in remarkable condition for a 1984 boat, just goes to show how well built the early models were! The white one which looks very nice is just over wintering. I haven't met the owner so don't know much about it. We have packed Swallow away for the winter now removed all kit and sails as we are now to old for cold weather sailing! I have spotted your boat when I was up at Conway I would like to sail ours on the sea but haven't got enough knowledge of the area and the tides etc. Hope you enjoyed your day out at Rudyard lake as a lot of voluntary work has gone into the lake surroundings to bring it up to present day standards.Its not the best place to sail a crusier as the deep valley pushes the winds all over the place, so hope to put her on the trailer next year and try her somewhere else,but will keep her at Rudyard as its near to our homes and not to expensive for the mooring.

Cheers

Peter

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Peter,
Rudyard is local to us also (Brown Edge) and we did go sailing on the lake many years ago in an enterprise sailing dinghy. We purchased the enterprise along with a tent for the purpose of trailer sailing and ended up in places such as Windermere,Llanbedrog,Bala,Shell Island, but found life under canvas very uncomfortable #:-s and rigging and derigging tents and boats for a short stay...tooo much! That is why we purchased a Swift and keep it in Conwy Harbour through the summer months...bit like camping on water. The mooring fees are around £500 for 1 year but we only use the mooring for 6 months (no rebate's) there is a good slipway (2hours either side HW) and it is best to launch at HW or just shortly afterwards as with an incoming tide if you were to have any difficulties a pontoon awaits the unwary to go crashing into beam on. As far as I know a few mooring are available for our size craft it would be advisable not to have a drying mooring .
This year will be our 18th year with Cherry Pie at Conwy and we can't wait, the weather has not been to good over the last few years but if you are able to pick your spare time to coincide with a bit of good weather there is no better place for us Stokies with Conwy being only 90 minutes away. If we can help with any advice 8-} let us know. Gary/Ruth/Skipper :o3
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18