Footloose

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
sfarrell
Under way

Footloose

Post by sfarrell » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 am

Hello Everyone again!!
Well I've got me mainsail quotes in now and at the moment its a close run thing between Kemps and Jeckells.
Kemps seem to be hedging towards loose footed design. I can see advantage of this if I go for Packaway system too, as the narrowish slot in the boom would have to accomodate bolt rope and packaway if I went for fixed foot wheareas loose footed I would only require the packaway in this slot.
Has anyone any experience with the pros and cons of a loose footed main over a fixed bolt rope?
And yes, I'd rather be sailing too! Not long now though.

yoty
Making way

Loose feet

Post by yoty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Best I tread lightly here and toe the line...

My last new sail was loose footed and the new one I've ordered for my Swift will be. I just think that you can get much more control over sail shape with them and therefore power and balance. Make sure that you limit the amount of travel that the clew can have as you can end up with a situation of having way too much fullness at the wrong time if the clew is allowed to travel too far forward.

If you do elect for a conventional bolt rope; The 'cloth' used in stacpacs for the grove in the boom would not prevent a bolt-rope passing through especially if you lubricate it all with candle wax.

I plan to launch on the 12th of March; how about you lot?

sfarrell
Under way

Footloose

Post by sfarrell » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am

Hello there,
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll follow suit and go for a loose footed main.
I haven't really heard anything too negative about this method, also Kemps who suggested this, just happen to be the best on price!!!
Our first trip out will hopefully be the last week in March. Could be a wrap up warm sail.!!
Have a good 2011 season.
Kind Regards
Simon & Janet. "Arabesque"