Weld line to mast

Discussions related to the mast
whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

Weld line to mast

Post by whiteede » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 am

Having just purchased and trailered a 1984 Swifty i have made close contact with the mast head end. There is a weld line each side from the head plate downwards but no sign of this apppearing to be a repair. I presume that other early tapered masts have this reinforcing? feature. My actual concern is that there are some 'pitting' holes along this line but again not appearing to be cracking in the true sense. i have attached a picture. Any comments, my experienced chums?
Attachments
007.JPG
this is the section below the headplate.

gff_cook
Making way

SPAM-MED: Weld line to mast

Post by gff_cook » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 am

Hi

The weld’s standard on my Swift, too (s/no 60) – can’t usefully comment on the pitting – doesn’t seem bad.

Geoff Cook

Sent: 31 July 2008 09:33
To: forum-mast@swift18.org
Subject: SPAM-MED: [Swift 18] Weld line to mast

Having just purchased and trailered a 1984 Swifty i have made close contact with the mast head end. There is a weld line each side from the head plate downwards but no sign of this apppearing to be a repair. I presume that other early tapered masts have this reinforcing? feature. My actual concern is that there are some 'pitting' holes along this line but again not appearing to be cracking in the true sense. i have attached a picture. Any comments, my experienced chums?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Rondonay
Cruising

Weld line to mast

Post by Rondonay » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am

Hi,

Yes the weld is normal.
Pauline

Jul 31, 2008 04:32:54 AM, forum-mast@swift18.org wrote:

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:32 pm

My Mast has the same weld line but,so far, no pitting

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

weld line to mast

Post by whiteede » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks chums, that does confirm the validity of the weld. I will have it looked at when she comes out of the water sometime this winter.

Philip W