Attaching new shrouds

Discussions related to the mast
noodle
Site Admin

Attaching new shrouds

Post by noodle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:36 am

Hello all fellow swift owners,

I've just purchased a swift 18 named 'Evergreen' number S197. I bought it through Dickies in Bangor, Wales and I moved it last weekend to Dublin, Ireland. I hope to test it out on the water in the next few weeks before I put it into storage for the winter as I will be racing my Laser 1 in the frostbites which start in a few weeks.

One quick initial question - The boat was supplied with new shrouds and backstay but the part of the shrouds at the mast end are just terminated with loops and hardeyes. I'm having difficulty contacting the owner and I was wondering if someone could explain how the shrouds connect to the mast? Does the swift use the hammerhead fittings that go in sideways into the hole in the mast like in a dinghy? Why would the rigging company have terminated the ends in hardeyes? It's a bank hol w/e in Ireland this coming w/e so I'd like to get some work done on the boat so any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joe

noodle
Site Admin

Post by noodle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:38 am

Hi Joe,

congratulations on your Swift purchase!

The shroud terminals are simple when you know how! - either side the mast just above the slots for the shrouds to enter are two srews which retain a rod running accross inside the mast.Remove one screw and slide the rod out to one side,then offer the hard eyes up through the slot and slide the rod back through them.

Good luck and happy sailing!

Dave - 'Fancy Free' (sail no.619)