Lifting the Swift up off the trailer to check the keel

Discussions related to getting the beast in and out of the water
CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Lifting the Swift up off the trailer to check the keel

Post by CHERRY PIE » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Allways a good subject for discussion and ideas this one. Instead of the usual blocks of wood and jack with paramedic on standby! #:-s I thought it would be good to try and invent something so for inspiration I trawled the net and found what I think could be the answer at www.portableboatlift.com if instead of using the beam a strop could be placed under the hull and the two side lifts could be secured with a beam joining them together on the floor, then one person on the winch either side could lift the boat at the front and a similar arrangement at the back would allow the trailer to be slid from under the boat :-B has any one found a safe simple home based solution yet...I am seriously thinking about knocking something up? Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

RobCourt
Anchored

Lifting the Swift

Post by RobCourt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi there. I used 3 trolley jacks and some Yacht Legs which just about got the boat high enough. I jacked up the trailer (with the boat on it) put the yacht legs in place, added some support by way of breeze blocks and cross beams, then lowered the trailer leaving the boat high and dry. The boat was just about high enough to inspect the bolts holding the lifting mechanism to the keel, and to be able to paint most of the inside of the box. Worked out reasonably cheaply and I've got all the gear to do it again. I'll try to upload some photos on Swiftwind's page in the gallery. Good luck! Rob

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks Rob, those yacht legs look the biz. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Post by John Hainsworth » Sun May 08, 2011 10:12 am

Hi,

I've been thinking about lifting my swift to examine the keel.
How about loosening the bolts holding the subframe for the wheels, lowering the front of the trailer to the ground, inserting axle stands at the rear of the trailer, jacking up the from and inserting axle stands for support, moving the wheels forward until the sub frame clears the keel and then using it as extra support.

Cheers John

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Post by John Hainsworth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Since my last note on this topic my keel lifting mechanism bush stripped.
As I had suggested previously I disconnected my trailer sub frame, jacked up the main frame and supported it on concrete blocks and axle stands. It worked a treat and I got the boat high enough to expose the bolts securing the lifting tackle to the keel. As they were immovable I reamed out the old bush and inserted a new lead screw and bush up through the old bush. The measurement is a bit critical but now if I hit ground the keel lifts without the screw protruding through the keel case. I am thinking of experimenting with a fixed lead screw and a bush which sits on top of the keel case and can be rotated to raise or lower the keel. Think of the jockey wheel system on a trailer and you will get the idea. This would make lubrication easier.

mjatkey
Under way
Boat Name: Blue Skies II
Sail Number: ?

Re: Lifting the Swift up off the trailer to check the keel

Post by mjatkey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Guys, for anyone who's interested I had some stands and lifter made up by a local welder, total cost including the two tractor jacks was €320 which I thought was very good price. Works perfectly (see photos I posted on flckr) Just need to get much smaller bow stand made up. Thanks