Suggestions and requests for the site, plus hints and tips on how to use it
Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Boat Registry

Post by Elwyn Williams » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:38 am

A suggestion if I may,

Would it not be possible to re arrange the Boat Registry page a little, perhaps loosing the entry # in favour of Sail Number, Boat Name, RYA Sail No (where applicable) & perhaps an additional column for previously known Names / Comments? Anyone else agree?

Where Sail / Build Numbers are not known, perhaps drop the sail number "0" & place by Boat Name alphabetically.

I believe trying to build a full boat build/history database would be most beneficial to all concerned.
Elwyn Williams

Rondonay
Cruising

Boat Registry

Post by Rondonay » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:21 am

Sounds good to me
Pauline

Mar 1, 2009 08:38:13 AM, forum-hintsandtips@swift18.org wrote:
A suggestion if I may,

Would it not be possible to re arrange the Boat Registry page a little, perhaps loosing the entry # in favour of Sail Number, Boat Name, RYA Sail No (where applicable) & perhaps an additional column for previously known Names / Comments? Anyone else agree?

Elwyn Williams

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 am

I don't quite understand. The register does place boats in order of sail number. After that I think it is in members registration date next. The main problem, as I see it, is that it doesn't recognise double entries very well when boats get sold and their names change. I understand that at some time soon, Andy (web site owner) will be revamping the site.

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Boat Registry

Post by Elwyn Williams » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

The primary selection is entry # i.e. 1st column. what I was suggesting is 1st Column should be sail/ build number split between variants ie Swift 18, Swift 23 etc, where sail number is not known perhaps these should appear as unknown not 0,

Then perhaps from this a history can be developed from the Sail/Build Number, just a suggestion

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com

Or :- elwyn.williams@hotmail.co.uk (MSN Video Messaging Enabled)

Tel:

Home 01386 831471
Mobile +447762 600486 (MMS Enabled)

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for attention and use of the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, take any action on this e-mail. Internet communications are not secure and therefore the sender does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or attachments of this message.

Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Boat Registry

Post by Elwyn Williams » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:24 am

For further ref see, it would certainly help in this sort of situation

Swift 18 Owners Forum Index -> Who's Swift?

Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams

noodle
Site Admin

Post by noodle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi,

As Terry said, the boats are sorted by sail number and then by forum join date. Duplicate sail numbers are problematic, as it would be wrong for me to prevent members from entering a sail number that already exists in the database and unfortunately those members that move on don't delete their user account.

I am currently working on a new version of the site as the hosting ISP is getting ready to change web server technology, however this is not proving straight forward :-(

For the new site I will look at how to solve this issue, but it may be a little while. In the mean time is there are sail numbers with duplicate entries, if the current owners can let me know, then I will remove the boat details for the previous owners.

Andy

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:21 am

Hi Elwyn,
The entry # is irrelevant - it simply numbers the rows. By default the register displays sail number in ascending order. There are options in the drop down boxes top right to display the results in other ways eg by Boat name.

As i understand things it's never going to be the kind of definitive register you're looking for. There's some opacity around the exact dates when builders changed; some boats have a builder's plate, and some not, and so on. It makes for an interesting trail though, and I enjoyed reading about yours.

cheers,
martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"