Boom Tents

Discussion on sprayhoods, dodgers boom tents and all things cloth
Anna-and-James
Anchored

Boom Tent

Post by Anna-and-James » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Dear Rondonay,

We are keen on having a boom tent made, and are aware that you had one made in the past. Would you be able to share the pattern dimensions with us please so that we can think about having another similar one made? We have taken dimensions from our boat but the style is in a sloping boom tent (sloping downwards from transom to mast).

Many thanks, Anna and James, Faithful May

Rondonay
Cruising

Boom Tents

Post by Rondonay » Sun May 04, 2008 8:19 am

Hi
Sorry guys, I posted the following by return and it bounced back a few days later!

Actually, mine is not really a boom tent as the boom is rather low for comfort. I got a length of plastic covered wire made up with thimbles and shackles at each end. One end attaches to the u bolt on the front of the mast and the other to the backstay. This forms a much more satisfactory 'ridge' for the tent than the boom, which just stays where it is inside the tent when we moor up.

I bought the material at Hawke House Marine..they are online, zips from them, too, and the plastic wire from Jimmy Green Marine. If you plan to do the job yourself you need a tough sewing machine! Mine's a Husqvarna Viking and it just managed. The overall cost four years ago was about £200, professionally, say from Jeckells, it would have been about £600.

If I were doing this project and getting it made, I'd make the makers do a measurement on the boat so that it would be right-when you spend a reasonable amount it's the best way.

I'll do a sketch of the layout of the tent and send it next.

Best wishes
Pauline

Rondonay
Cruising

Boom Tent

Post by Rondonay » Sun May 04, 2008 8:22 am

Rough sketch attached
Attachments
tent.doc
(26 KiB) Downloaded 938 times

Anna-and-James
Anchored