Cooker base

Discussions on how best to utilise the space available in the Swift
PeterRoach
Anchored

Cooker base

Post by PeterRoach » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm the new owner of a Swift 18 (Red Mist). I notice that under the sink there is plenty of space for bottles etc., but on the opposite side under the cooker there is no way into the space. Would there be any down-side to cutting an opening into this base to provide storage for a gas bottle?

Rondonay
Cruising

Red Mist Cooker Plinth

Post by Rondonay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi,

I think there are a couple of problems with your idea. :)
Those plinths are the support for the mast arch above so any incursions need considering from that point of view, that is to maintain structural integrity.
Also they are part of the buoyancy scheme in the boat, I thought that any hatch in there would need to be above the level of the quarter berths at least.
Most importantly, and especially if you are keeping Red Mist on the Broads is the Boat Safety Scheme Certification. The gas locker must vent overboard which would involve a through hull fitting high enough to be unaffected by sailing angle and low enough to do the job, could be tricky.

I guess though with 'Hamblesailor' as a login you will not be having too much BSSC to bother you. :)

PeterRoach
Anchored

Post by PeterRoach » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:54 am

Many thanks for this. Good thing I thought to ask for advice before getting the cutter out! BTW, I am indeed on the Norfolk Broads. I think Hamblesailor was last owner but one. Peter

Hamblesailor
Under way

Post by Hamblesailor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

No, I have never owned a Swift called Red Mist. My Swift is Nok and I've never had one before. I think you must have read my post first and confused them. (I have also been posting as an excited new owner!)
I wonder if many Swift owners have got rid of any of the bouyancy areas for more storage though. The buoyany is to meet Micro cupper class rules. As the Swift from day one was a detuned and therefore never competitive (to my knowledge) as a micro, losing some of the emergency buoyancy probably wouldn't bother a lot of owners. On a boat of this size storage space is at a premium. Gem Micros are worse. One I looked at had a solid foam filled forepeak single down one side so didn't even have a forepeak double berth of any usable sort. Made the boat entirely unsuitable for cruising as a couple which is what I have a boat for.
Jake

Rondonay
Cruising

Cooker base

Post by Rondonay » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi Peter,

I have now sold my Swift, but am still on the Broads as indeed is Rondonay herself. Do get in touch if you would like to chat about your lovely boat. The broads has a Forum too BTW, The ‘Official’ Norfolk Broads Forum, you may be interested, and there are lots of opportunities to ask for info, meet up, make contacts etc. in a more general Broads Boating way.

Pauline

Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:54 AM
To: forum-storage@swift18.org (forum-storage@swift18.org)
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Cooker base

Many thanks for this. Good thing I thought to ask for advice before getting the cutter out! BTW, I am indeed on the Norfolk Broads. I think Hamblesailor was last owner but one. Peter

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

PeterRoach
Anchored

Post by PeterRoach » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks again - I'll check that out. Peter