Lubrication of keel Thread / Bush

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Puffin
Anchored

Post by Puffin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:36 am

Thank you for your advice Mike, It has worked a treat
Regards
Paul

storm
Under way
Boat Name: Countdown
Sail Number: 321

Post by storm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for this tip. I reckon this should be on the top ten list of to do's

I greased up the screw before putting her in the water, back in March but last week the winding gear became very stiff. I had thought I would tie a rope underneath the keel and then wind the screw down which would lift it out of the housing.
Then I read your tip.
It took a few days for the first offering to sink down and then the next dose seemed a bit quicker. What a huge difference, I now give the keel screw 1 tablespoon of 20/50 after every trip. It makes winding easy and feels like it will last forever.

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

keel lubrication & winding screw

Post by whiteede » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 am

I am fortunate in having a drying mooring which allows me to simply wind the screw up out of the hole when the boat's sitting on the bottom. I then grease it with white grease. However, the oil option sounds interesting and I will give this a go myself.

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Lubrication of keel Thread / Bush

Post by Elwyn Williams » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Personally I would not recommend a mineral oil I use a silicon grease once a year never had any problems

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com

Or :- elwyn.williams@hotmail.co.uk (MSN Video Messaging Enabled)

Tel:

Home 01386 831471
Mobile +447762 600486 (MMS Enabled)

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for attention and use of the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, take any action on this e-mail. Internet communications are not secure and therefore the sender does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or attachments of this message.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Elwyn Williams