Broken Rudder

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
joe_swift18
Under way

Broken Rudder

Post by joe_swift18 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Was out sailing last night with a friend in Dublin Bay in a 5 to 6 Northerly. About 3 miles out from Dun Loaghaire harbour on the way back in, I found it strange that I couldn't get the boat to bear away as she wasn't heeling too much. Looked over the transom and saw my rudder laying sideways in the water trailing behind the boat!. Fortunately it was held on by the up and down hauls. The rudder snapped in half at the top semi-circular section right through the hole where the main bolt attaching it to the stock goes. I will take a photo or two and attach to the site to show you the construction of rudder in this location.

I think the swift 18 is a sturdy, well-made and stable boat but my instincts always had me very suspicious of the rudder. I've always felt it was flimsy looking and had just too much slop in it. I've had the boat continuously on the water since July of last year and keep the rudder down when in the marina so I suspect this contributed to its weakening through moisture ingress into the ply in it. However, given the amount of leverage on the rudder where it meets the stock, relying just on ply with a little bit of steel reinforcement simply isn't strong enough in this area as last night proved.

I'll have to make up a completely new rudder and intend to have a sheet of steel sandwiched between 2 pieces of ply all bolted and epoxied together and with glassed up edges and completely sealed in an epoxy coat. The steel will be continuous throughout the entire area of the rudder and should make it very strong in the stock area. In the meantime (don't want to miss out on good sailing weather!) I'll attach the broken rudder to the stock with 2 or 3 large bolts in a fixed-down position until I have the new rudder ready.

I was lucky when this happened to me, as the week before last I had cruised up to Carlingford Lough (about 45 miles North of Dun Laoghaire) for the long August bank holiday weekend with a friend and it could have happened then which would have caused much more trouble. Particularly, if it had happened when we were going into the Lough in the dark in a big swell as there is a lot of foul water at the entrance with a narrow channel and up to 5.5knots of tide!!

I have a Honda 5HP 4 stroke and releasing the swivel locking nut I was able to steer her successfully back to port in difficult enough conditions last night. I advise you to check your rudder next time you get a chance particularly in this highly stressed area around the pivot bolt.

Has anyone else run into problems with their rudder?

Joe

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

RUDDER

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 am

Hi Joe, Pleased you managed to get out of that one without to many problems! I also felt that our rudder needed beefing up a little on the stock so we added to large stainless steel plates on the outside. I have placed a picture here. Mike from sunny Norfolk may be able to assist you with a new rudder?? All the best Gary & Ruth
Attachments
rudder stowed.JPG
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

joe_swift18
Under way

Pics added

Post by joe_swift18 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:40 pm

I added some pics of the broken rudder in the gallery section under joe_swift18. I hadn't realised when I wrote the first mail on this that the stock was also damaged when the rudder broke away. There seems to have been a piece welded onto the bottom of the stock to give more support to the rudder and this sheared off on one side.

I've bolted the rudder onto the stock with 3 bolts for the time being but haven't tried it out yet. Unfortunately, I didn't realise it would end up with a rake back when following the line of the stock so it'll be a little heavier to steer than it should be.

Joe

jjspicer
Under way

Slop in rudder

Post by jjspicer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 am

Hi Joe
I have the same problem with slop in the rudder and I have been thinking about either a major repair or building a new one. Since you have now have some experiance in this area I would appreciate any advise you could offer.
John
________
HERBALAIRE REVIEW
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:17 pm

The rudder on my boat was/is a bodged home made affair that looks like a piece of glassed up tree trunk; it weighs a ton and is a truly awful shape but I guess it’s strong. For some time now I’ve been thinking of making a better one so two days ago I pinched Simon Farrell’s to use as a pattern and began (Hope you don’t mind Simon, we did talk about it last year.)
So far I have epoxy glued 4 pieces of Half inch marine ply together and fashioned into a rudder shape. I am now in the process of sheathing this in GRP, sandwiching alternate layers of cloth and chop strand. I used to make GRP climbing helmets and ice axe shafts many years ago and its all coming back to me what a horrible job working with glass is!
Anyway if, when I’ve finished, it looks any good I’ll post up a picture or two and become a great authority on rudders. If it doesn’t or it snaps the first time I us it, then I shall just keep very quiet about it.