problems with winding gear

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
gordon shenton
Anchored

Post by gordon shenton » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:41 am

Having followed your site for the last 18 months.I am finally the owner of a Swift 18.After launching this week I came to operate the winding mechanism for the keel and the thread is winding up into the boat and the collar is loose.All was OK when I purchased her a few weeks ago.The guy in the marina(at Ullswater ) seems to think that the keel may be sticking and the thread is forced up to stop any damage.I would appreciate any advice.My first sail in the swift was not much fun without a keel.Hope someone out there can help.
Regards Gordon

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi Gordon
I believe the guy you spoke to is quite correct in that it seems likely that something is jamming the keel (possibly a stone). Just watch it doesn't suddenly free it's self when the winding gear is pushed up or the whole lot will crash down on the mechanism and strip the thread.
If you get it out of the water you can then remove the inspection cover and have a look ( this cover is below the water line so don't whatever you do remove it whilst still afloat).

Have a look in the llibrary under technical/keels
Regards Terry

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:47 pm

I wouldn't consider sailing without the keel down.Rob keeps Vega on Ullswater, you could pm him for advice?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

sticking keel

Post by CHERRY PIE » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi Gordon,
I do not know Ullswater at all, but there must be a gently sloping beach somewhere around the lake. I suggest you find such a place and gently ground your Swift this will have the effect of forcing the back of the keel up into the box just a little more and possibly dislodge what ever is holding up 365lbs in weight! you might like to screw the mechanism out of the pivot and take a look while you have it in such a position. Afterwards send the screw back down again push your swift back into deeper water and hopefully your keel will work its way down in the normal way. NEVER!! as already stated allow the screw to come up out of the pivot when not aground as damage may occur without warning. Good luck ........Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

keel sticking?

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:03 am

Gordon, just seen your note on the site, how about running a long thin blade between the keel and the keel box .? It would have to be on the trailer, and the keel chocked up for safety,a icing sugar knife could work,but dont tell your other half!!BEST OF LUCK ,MIKE IN COOLISH NORFOLK

John C.
Anchored

Post by John C. » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Hello Gordon,
Are you located in the marina at Watermillock? If so there are two Swifts in the marina next door.
One on a jetty and mine (sinuhe) on a trailer. Post a message saying when you are up next and we could meet up and have a look.
Regards
John.

gordon shenton
Anchored

Keel stuck

Post by gordon shenton » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks to you all for your suggestion about releasing the Keel.
Man in the boat yard suggests swimming under the Hull and trying to release with a crow bar!
If I take it out of the water on the trailer I assume I will have to chock the boat up.Are there specific points on the hull I should support?
Where is the cover plate to the board is this outside of the boat or inside and how do I remove it? Thanks again for all your help. I am going to attempt the job on Frid 15th. Iwill let you know how i get on.
Regards
Gordon

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Inside the boat the keel box has an outer GRP cover which can be unscrewed. Once removed, you will see the cover plate on the starboard side of the keel box. As for supporting the boat to inspect the keel, the best way is to crane out but I have twice jacked my boat off the trailer carefully supporting with a wooden beam and an RSJ, with lots of padding where the trailer rollers locate. To Be honest, I would just get it on the trailer and have a good poke about underneath, it probably isn't much. I've pinched a picture from the old yahoo site from a guy called Dave Simmons and attached it for you (I hope he won't mind)
Attachments
Winding gear cover.doc
(182.5 KiB) Downloaded 868 times

gordon shenton
Anchored

keel problem

Post by gordon shenton » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 am

Attempted to release keel in the water, no luck.
When i removed it onto trailer i found the keel was well and truly jammed due to keel resting on trailer roller. The boat has had to be hoisted for keel to be released.We now have the problem that the bronze bush needs to be replaced. Do i have to have one specially made or is there a ready made replacement?
Will i ever get to sail this season?
Cheers
Gordon

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi Gordon
Saw your boat yesterday (25th June) at Ullswater Marine. Have you had any luck getting the bush replaced?
Have you looked in the technical section of this site? Gary (Cherry Pie) has had (and solved) problems with his keel before. Also if you search the old Yahoo group E mails you'll find more info on keels!
I've not had this problem myself but I think the answer is to get a new bush made by an engineering firm.
Rob
ps. have you seen the wasps nest under the boom cover on Frenesie next to your boat!!

John C.
Anchored

Post by John C. » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Hello again Gordon,
I had a wander round your boat (slipped in from the marina next door) and noticed that, like mine, your trailer is not road legal. With it being unbraked the Max gross weight has to be less than 750k and it will be actually closer to 1000k. You also cannot exceed half the kerb weight of the towing vehicle.
At the end of this season my intention is to purchase a new SBS trailer. If you have the same intention, maybe we could negotiate a better price for two!
Regards,
John C.

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

BRONZE BUSH

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Hi Gordon, Now you have your Swift out of the water and have been able to investigate your problem.....what was the reason for the sticking keel? The bronze bush can it be remachined? and a slightly thicker screw made. We had our bronze bush remachined and a new screw made...I suggest you download some pics and info from the website and go and have a chat with some engineering folk..all the best Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18