winding gear bearing?

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

winding gear bearing?

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 pm

tried to look up details of the winding gear bearing that was a help to wind up ,! NEED TO ORDER ONE ,!!unable to track down the photo, or the old swift news letter ,or the part number,! HELP.! mike in the evening sun with a large glass of white wine.

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri May 04, 2007 10:10 am

Hi Mike, hope this helps, (words from Roger Pigden)...."This proved to be one of the most simple yet effective
modifications of any I have undertaken on my swift. From a bearing
distributor I bought a roller thrust race. This is designed to cope
with very heavy 1oads, and the total thickness of the thrust race is
only about 3mm. No modifications or machinery are required to fit it.
It is simply placed between the stainless steel winding socket and the
nylon block. The thrust race is made up of three components; two
Face-plates and a Roller-cage. The part numbers and sizes of the
components are:
Torrington (USA) NTA 2031 (Face-plates)
TRA 2031 (Roller-cage)
1.250" 'inside diameter x 1.937" outside diameter"
Last edited by CHERRY PIE on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

giraffe
Making way

Ball bearing race for keel winding mechanism

Post by giraffe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member of the forum and about to buy a Swift. I must confess I've been lurking around for a while reading up about Swifts and the forum and website have proved fantastic resources and a major influence on my decision to buy this 20 year old boat. I certainly feel more confident knowing that there is so much knowledge and documentation readily available, and that the boat has such a strong Association.

I'll reveal the identity of the boat when the sale is completed... In the meantime there is a small repair that the present owner and I need to sort out which I hope you can help me with.

The boat is a 1987 300 series and it has been dry stored for the past 4 years. It has a new winding mechanism installed approximately 5 years ago. On a recent trial launch the keel would not go down - the mechanism was stiff after 20 turns. After much cleaning, lubrication and working of the mechanism it will now do the requisite 40-odd turns. However in this process we managed to lose down the box the ball bearings from the race under the stainless steel winding socket. This prompts us to replace the rather rusty race, but are not sure what to order and where from.

I found this useful message below, which certainly sounds like what we need, but I'm not sure if it's exactly right. Can anyone confirm what we need? It would also be very helpful if someone could suggest a supplier?

The race we have has an inside diameter of 1.25" and the outside diameter appeared to be ~1.75". There are (were) 14 balls in the race about 5mm (no micrometer!).

With thanks and best wishes,

Martin Lea

CHERRY PIE wrote:Hi Mike, hope this helps, (words from Roger Pigden)...."This proved to be one of the most simple yet effective
modifications of any r have undertaken on my swift. From a bearing
distributor I bought a roller thrust race. This is designed to cope
with very heavy 1oads, and the total thickness of the thrust race is
only about 3mm. No modificat'ions or machinery are required to fit it.
It is simp'ly placed between the stainless steel winding socket and the
nylon block. The thrust race is made up of three components; two
Face-plates and a Roller-cage. The part numbers and sizes of the
components are:
Torrington (USA) NTA 2031 (Face-plates)
TRA 2031 (Roller-cage)
1.250" 'inside diameter x 1.937" outside diameter"

.....Me again I fitted the bearings and so far so good they do make the job easier,however just how long they will last ????? ....Gary
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Martin
Have you had a look in the Library/Technical section? (Upper left of Home page)
Regards Terry

giraffe
Making way

keel winding thrust bearing

Post by giraffe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for the pointer Terry. I've replaced the rusty dry old bearing with a shiny well-greased unit and the keel now winds smoothly and easily up and down.

From what I can gather, early Swifts had no bearing on the winder and the Torrington needle thrust bearing described in the Technical section sits on top of the plastic bush. Later Swifts appear to have been supplied with a ball thrust bearing recessed into the bush. (This seems to have happened as a direct result of a suggestion by Tony Adams in NL11), and it's this that I replaced (see attached picture). It's an

LT1-1/8 Imperial Thrust Ball Bearing 1.125x1.906x0.625 inch

A very helpful man called Steve who runs simplybearings.co.uk from a container in his back garden (coincidentally not half a mile from where Aperitif is currently lounging) supplied it from stock for £7.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p42267 ... _info.html

They can also supply the Torrington needle thrust bearing from stock.
Attachments
Thrust bearing.jpg
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Keel Bearings

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi folks,
From my earlier post in this section in regard to fitting a thrust bearing in between the nylon bush and the winding cup....at the start of the season all went well with the modification however a slight bump of the keel over a sandbank left the modification in bits, I did wonder if the thrust race would be strong enough and the proof of the pudding is that it is not.
I have obtained a new type (heavy duty) bearing from Martin's Supplier in order to fit. Over the week-end I removed the old broken thrust bearing and greased the screw with waterproof grease and the keel mechanism works perfectly well now, I am reluctant to set the new bearing in place as in my view this will necessitate removal of at least a third of the thickness of the nylon bush and thereby cause a possible weakness in this area. Hope you found this of interest. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Gary,
I don't know if this helps (and i'm not an engineer) but i was told the needle thrust bearing which i presume is what failed on you can be supplied in a variety of qualities ranging from unbranded Eastern European manufacture through to aerospace quality, with prices to match.

Regards,
Martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Martin, Thanks for the info, it was the actual bottom steel washer that broke and in getting up the keel the rest ended up in bits, Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18