tiller uphaul and downhaul

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Roger Curry

Post by Roger Curry » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 pm

I have just bought a Swift 18 and am rigging it for next season.
The tiller downhaul is a simple line led through the top of the tiller stock and cleated to the underside of the tiller. There is no purchase, no roller to go around etc. Does this work in practice or has anyone another and better solution?
The uphaul is similarly rigged and I doubt if it will be sufficient to raise the heavy blade when in use.

gailnchris

Rudder down haul

Post by gailnchris » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:59 pm

Roger .... This system works fine. The weight of the rudder blade combined with the relatively slow speed of the boat will give you no problems. Chris ( gailnchris)

Rondonay
Cruising

Rudder Thoughts

Post by Rondonay » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:32 am

Hi All

Just back from a few day's 'ditch crawling' on the Broads. Rondonay was fine except for a couple of upwind tacks in light airs where she fell off the wind and needed a gybe instead.

My question is related to the rudder. Lots of Broads boats have 'fat' rudders rather than straight up and down like ours, and it seems to me that angling the rudder blade with the uphaul might be a good idea. Obviously the current uphaul is not well placed to achieve this.

Any thoughts?

Pauline

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Post by John Hainsworth » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Pauline,

I,ve had similar problems having bought a boat with a damaged rudder.
I made a spare out of 1" marine ply, 3 foot times 1 foot.
It worked well but snapped in a heavy swell in Poole Bay.
I replaced it with the original which slowed the boat down appreciably and had to be angles with the uphaul to remove leeway..
Mt guess is that a vertical properly faired blade would do a better job but at the moment I'm struggling with a stripped bush in the keel lifting mechanism and keel bolts that are solid in the keel.
More later if I solve the problem.

John (Taranaki) Poole Harbour.

On 06/08/2011 11:32, Rondonay wrote:
Hi All

Just back from a few day's 'ditch crawling' on the Broads. Rondonay was fine except for a couple of upwind tacks in light airs where she fell off the wind and needed a gybe instead.

My question is related to the rudder. Lots of Broads boats have 'fat' rudders rather than straight up and down like ours, and it seems to me that angling the rudder blade with the uphaul might be a good idea. Obviously the current uphaul is not well placed to achieve this.

Any thoughts?

Pauline

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks John,

The rudder is fine, in fact, but I think I will play with the uphaul a bit more.
We were asking a lot on the occasion I mentioned, 3 in the cockpit + a 20kg leisure battery that was sitting there waiting to be moved to a more intelligent place!
Hope you get sorted with the keel.

Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 9:29 AM
To: forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org (forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org)
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: tiller uphaul and downhaul

Hi Pauline,

I,ve had similar problems having bought a boat with a damaged rudder.
I made a spare out of 1" marine ply, 3 foot times 1 foot.
It worked well but snapped in a heavy swell in Poole Bay.
I replaced it with the original which slowed the boat down appreciably and had to be angles with the uphaul to remove leeway..
Mt guess is that a vertical properly faired blade would do a better job but at the moment I'm struggling with a stripped bush in the keel lifting mechanism and keel bolts that are solid in the keel.
More later if I solve the problem.

John (Taranaki) Poole Harbour.

On 06/08/2011 11:32, Rondonay wrote: : Hi All

Any thoughts?

Pauline

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)