Rudder and Stock

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Hiibbo
Anchored

Rudder and Stock

Post by Hiibbo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi everyone, just joined so not found my way round yet. Hopefully posted this in the right place.

The original rudder stock on my Swift 18 (Southern Mist) was split at the bottom both sides so I had it welded which seems to be holding at least for the time being. The rudder itself was in a poor state when I got it - two halves starting to split apart. I dried it out prized the two halves apart and filled the gap with epoxy. Good enough for a season although I can see already that I will need to replace the lot at some point.

Where might I get a quote for a new rudder and stock? Does anyone still make them? Are there any detailed project notes on how to do it yourself. I can probably get a new stock made up - it's the rudder that seems to be the challenge.

Thanks, Andy

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Rudder and Stock

Post by John Hainsworth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:45 am

Hi Andy,

You're talking money.

I had similar problems and fabricated a stock our of heavy duty alloy.

I also split the rudder, inserted an alloy liner, stuck the two halves together, filled with foam and sheathed with woven roving and epoxy. It seems to work OK.

John

On 23/06/2014 22:14, Hiibbo wrote:
Hi everyone, just joined so not found my way round yet. Hopefully posted this in the right place.

The original rudder stock on my Swift 18 (Southern Mist) was split at the bottom both sides so I had it welded which seems to be holding at least for the time being. The rudder itself was in a poor state when I got it - two halves starting to split apart. I dried it out prized the two halves apart and filled the gap with epoxy. Good enough for a season although I can see already that I will need to replace the lot at some point.

Where might I get a quote for a new rudder and stock? Does anyone still make them? Are there any detailed project notes on how to do it yourself. I can probably get a new stock made up - it's the rudder that seems to be the challenge.

Thanks, Andy

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virus Database: 3986/7729 - Release Date: 06/23/14
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Hiibbo
Anchored

Post by Hiibbo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi John, thanks for the info. Did you take any pictures of your work on the rudder in stages and what foam did you use, how did you fill the void etc etc?

Hopefully last til the end of the season.

Thanks mate.

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Rudder and Stock

Post by John Hainsworth » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Hibbo,

I've tried to send details but the forum mail box was full.

If you send me your email address I'll send them direct.

I remember Burnley from 1970 - 76 when I lived on Scott Park Road. Happy Days.

John

On 27/06/2014 15:40, Hiibbo wrote:
Hi John, thanks for the info. Did you take any pictures of your work on the rudder in stages and what foam did you use, how did you fill the void etc etc?

Hopefully last til the end of the season.

Thanks mate.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virus Database: 3986/7752 - Release Date: 06/27/14
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Hiibbo
Anchored

Post by Hiibbo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi John, I live near to Townley Park - Woodgrove Road over from Big Billy. Does it bring back memories.

My e-mail address is hibbsy1961@virginmedia.com

Really kind of you mate.

Andy