Leak - Water between the hulls, in the foam

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
AndyG
Anchored

Post by AndyG » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm

I've a leak which I think is due to me using too long a self tapping screw to hold the keel cover in place, (though I will check out all the likely sources - tracking from the anchor locker, outboard well etc). My problem is that I don't have any experience of fixing leaks in GRP hulls and I can see two options: (1) drill out the hole in the "outer" keel case to say, 1 inch, so that I can see and get at the hole/damage to the keel case and then fill it with epoxy filler, or (2) lift the boat on the trailer, wind the keel down so that I can get at the offending hole from the "outside" and again, fill it with epoxy filler. Is filling a hole from the i"outside" generally regarded as being better? Any advice offered will be gratefully received. Thanks Andy

Colne Bar
Under way

Post by Colne Bar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm

It's well worth checking out other possible causes of leaks such as deck fittings and windows before you go to a lot of effort. I sometimes find that a little bit of water has weeped in around the keel bolt, I'll disassemble it and add some more grease next time it's on the trailer - could the same be happening to yours?

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Post by John Hainsworth » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi Andy,

I had a similar problem.

My solution was to take the winch handle off, unsrew any self tappers holding the keel box cover and then remove that, clean out the offending hole with a drill slightly larger than the hole, then fill with a mix of epoxy resin and filler (micro fibres). You should do it when the boat is out of the water and dry and the air temperature is over ten degrees C.

I prefer epoxy for repairs as I think it does a better job.

An easier repair is to use a slightly shorter and thicker self tapping screw coated in a good quality adhesive/sealant.

John ( Taranaki Poole )

On 24/10/2013 22:53, AndyG wrote:
I've a leak which I think is due to me using too long a self tapping screw to hold the keel cover in place, (though I will check out all the likely sources - tracking from the anchor locker, outboard well etc). My problem is that I don't have any experience of fixing leaks in GRP hulls and I can see two options: (1) drill out the hole in the "outer" keel case to say, 1 inch, so that I can see and get at the hole/damage to the keel case and then fill it with epoxy filler, or (2) lift the boat on the trailer, wind the keel down so that I can get at the offending hole from the "outside" and again, fill it with epoxy filler. Is filling a hole from the i"outside" generally regarded as being better? Any advice offered will be gratefully received. Thanks Andy

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4158 / Virus Database: 3614/6775 - Release Date: 10/23/13
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

pancho
Under way

Post by pancho » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi, no problem for us as the cover is held on with Velcro, that works well,
John

Sent from John's iPad

On 25 Oct 2013, at 16:57, "John Hainsworth" <forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org (forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org)> wrote:

Hi Andy,

I had a similar problem.

My solution was to take the winch handle off, unsrew any self tappers holding the keel box cover and then remove that, clean out the offending hole with a drill slightly larger than the hole, then fill with a mix of epoxy resin and filler (micro fibres). You should do it when the boat is out of the water and dry and the air temperature is over ten degrees C.

I prefer epoxy for repairs as I think it does a better job.

An easier repair is to use a slightly shorter and thicker self tapping screw coated in a good quality adhesive/sealant.

John ( Taranaki Poole )

On 24/10/2013 22:53, AndyG wrote:

: I've a leak which I think is due to me using too long a self tapping screw to hold the keel cover in place, (though I will check out all the likely sources - tracking from the anchor locker, outboard well etc). My problem is that I don't have any experience of fixing leaks in GRP hulls and I can see two options: (1) drill out the hole in the "outer" keel case to say, 1 inch, so that I can see and get at the hole/damage to the keel case and then fill it with epoxy filler, or (2) lift the boat on the trailer, wind the keel down so that I can get at the offending hole from the "outside" and again, fill it with epoxy filler. Is filling a hole from the i"outside" generally regarded as being better? Any advice offered will be gratefully received. Thanks Andy

Version: 2014.0.4158 / Virus Database: 3614/6775 - Release Date: 10/23/13

AndyG
Anchored

Post by AndyG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and the info. This is a great forum, especially for a newbie like myself. I'm still searching for the leak. I don't now think it is the self tappers, although I will act on your suggestion John, to fill with epoxy when the weather gets a little warmer and then switch to velcro. (Thanks Pancho)

It could be the keel bolt, (Colne Bar) My concern with removing the bolt is that the hole could then misalign with the keel? I'll experiment a bit, and perhaps try to put a continuous bead of marine sealant around the bolt to rule that out. Finally, I may end up installing a small bilge in the cabin floor along the lines of Cherry Pie.

Andy

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Post by John Hainsworth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:10 pm

There is a lot of pressure in the keel box when sailing so even the smallest hole lets in a fair amount of water.
If you're planning to remove the keel bolt you'll need to lift the boat well clear of the trailer and make sure you have jackes ready to take the weight. I separate the main trailer frame and the suspension sub frame and thenjack up the main frame to give me clearance. I take out the bolt with the lifting gear wound up to its highest and then lower the keel on to the jacks or blocks using the lifting gear. The rear of the keel is heavier than the front so it may look as if it is sticking if the balance is wrong. Be careful not to let the keel come completely out of the box or you will lose control of it and could damage yourself or the boat. It's not as bad as it sounds but you have to constantly check to make sure everything is safe and it helps to have a helper standing by. The bolt is a close fit so you may have to insert sealant round it between the support bracket and the keel box. I test for a leaking keel bolt by filling the boat up to the seat level or alternativly by using a pressure washer.
Hope all goes well.On 02/02/2014 22:27, AndyG wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions and the info. This is a great forum, especially for a newbie like myself. I'm still searching for the leak. I don't now think it is the self tappers, although I will act on your suggestion John, to fill with epoxy when the weather gets a little warmer and then switch to velcro. (Thanks Pancho)

It could be the keel bolt, (Colne Bar) My concern with removing the bolt is that the hole could then misalign with the keel? I'll experiment a bit, and perhaps try to put a continuous bead of marine sealant around the bolt to rule that out. Finally, I may end up installing a small bilge in the cabin floor along the lines of Cherry Pie.

Andy

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3684/7052 - Release Date: 02/01/14

AndyG
Anchored

Post by AndyG » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 am

The boat is now dry. I did a number of things at the same time so can't say for sure what the problem was, but I think it was probably water tracking from the outboard well. The outboard had been nudged into drive when sailing and "smacked" into the side of the well a few times and caused cracking. A bit of epoxy filler seems to have done the trick. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Fran Kelleher
Run aground
Boat Name: Arabesque
Sail Number: 27

Re: Leak - Water between the hulls, in the foam

Post by Fran Kelleher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:42 am

I have water leaking into the foam sandwich under the floor plate. It all started when I noticed some hairline cracks extending out 6 inches from the front of the keel box housing at approx 45 degrees. When I proceeded to cut out and repair the damage I was met with an overpowering smell of stagnant water. Can anyone tell me where I should check for all possible sources of the leak and where to go from here. Is the floor a load bearing support for the keel box in anyway, why did these cracks appear. Has anyone got photos or diagrams that might clarify things? If I just repaired and re-sealed the cracks would it cause any long term issues

Lots of questions, hopefully a few answers
Fran Kelleher

mjatkey
Under way
Boat Name: Blue Skies II
Sail Number: ?

Post by mjatkey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Fran, I know where the water came form under my floor, like an idiot I plugged the anchor well drain hole then went to Spain for two weeks, only to come back to a boat with a couple of inches on the floor of the cabin, got rid of it no probs and pulled the bung out of the drain hole, but I think I still have a bit of water under the floor but am a bit apprehensive about how far to drill into to floor to see how much there is under there. I think there are a few points where water can get in, windows, anchor well and keel case screws. I had that when I first got the boat in that when i tightened the screws on the keel case I noticed a couple of drops of water coming in so I just wipped out the screws and stuck some water proof sealer in then filled them properly once she was out. You don't really need screws in case cover anyway.

Fran Kelleher
Run aground
Boat Name: Arabesque
Sail Number: 27

Post by Fran Kelleher » Wed May 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Many thanks for your reply and excuse my ignorance but for example if the window or keel box was leaking it would leak onto the floor. If the floor is sealed properly it shouldn't get into the foam sandwich and would be a simple matter of just drying up the water. Maybe its coming in through the cracks in the floor over a long period of time. I would love to see some photos/ drawings of the way the hull is made or even somebody that I could call. That would make it clearer for me

Any help appreciated
Fran