Rudder blade dimensions

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Hamblesailor
Under way

Rudder blade dimensions

Post by Hamblesailor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Help! earlier today I saw somewhere on this site a sketch of the Swift rudder blade dimensions. Just spent an hour searching for it again to no avail. I'm thinking quite seriously now of making a rudder blade out of a dinghy centreboard- perhaps off a trapeeze boat like a 505. I initially doubted the strength of a centreboard for this use, but then I remembered regularly seeing capsized dinghies being righted by the odd 100 kgs of waterlogged crewman standing on the end of the centreboard. They flex a bit but never seen one break unless waterlogged or previously damaged. Probably stronger than the standard swift rudder by the sound of things!
Anybody got the dimensions sketch of the standard swift rudder blade? Once i can work out where the centre of lateral resistance is of the standard board I can work out where the centre would be on a dinghy centreboard in comparison.
Or has anyone in the Hamble/ southampton area got a Swift out of the water and wouldn't mind me measuring their rudder blade?
Jake

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Jake,
Have you read this thread on rudders?
http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=828
As i say in the above thread, my rudder is made of ply, I can measure it for you if you want, its just outside in the garage.
I also seem to remember seeing the dimensions on this forum somewhere but also can't find them now!!
Rob

Hamblesailor
Under way

Post by Hamblesailor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 am

Re: I also seem to remember seeing the dimensions on this forum somewhere but also can't find them now!!

It was a photograph of a sketch of the measurements. It was somewhere weird on the site where I didn't expect it to be. I remember thinking "I'll probably be needing that at some point"- hey preso about 2 days later I did. I literally spent an hour and a half clicking through every photo on the gallery looking for it, but I don't think it could have been in there.
Jake

AvocetNSC
Anchored

Re: Rudder blade dimensions

Post by AvocetNSC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Have a look at this
Attachments
Rudder blade 1.jpg
Swift on Strangford