Keel repairs

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
John Hainsworth
Cruising

Keel repairs

Post by John Hainsworth » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am

Following my earlier post, I finally solved my keel problem by reaming out the old bush and buying a length of stainless threaded rod to go through it and a bronze nut to fit.
I then cut the nut on two opposite sides so that it would fit under the old bush.
Next I ground one end of the rod to take the winch fitting and the other end to take a stop washer which I had welded on.
Finally I put the nut on the rod and threaded the rod up through the old bush and through the keel case and fitted the winch mechanism.
The length of the rod is critical but it can be done and it works.
The beauty of the system is that if you touch ground the keel lifts and the friction is taken up by the old bush which being bronze shouldn't damage the rod.
I am now wondering whether I could put the rod and nut in a housing on top of the keel box with the nut wired to the keel. In that way I could keep the mechanism greased.

The rod and nut is available at http://www.moore-international.com/

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Re: Keel repairs

Post by John Hainsworth » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:15 am

Having reached the age when scrabbling on my knees to raise the keel is a pest, I decided to use a trailer winch which I fitted on the bridge deck under the step into the cabin. I cut a hole in the top of the keel box and built up a support with an inspection plate included and then led a 1200 kg dynema cord through to the rear of the keel. I can now raise or lower the keel from the cockpit with far less effort than I ever used using the old system which I have left in situ as backup. It works and is far more convenient when sailing in shallow water and crowded moorings.