on a mooring

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
David mclardie
Under way

on a mooring

Post by David mclardie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 am

Hi when you leave your boat on it's mooring do you lift the rudder out the water or leave it in ...i always lift it out when lashing the tiller but my boat got a bit of a hard time while on its mooring and was just thinking would it of been better to leave the rudder in the water ....

many thanks

David

John Hainsworth
Cruising

on a mooring

Post by John Hainsworth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:08 am

Hi Dave,

I leave my Swift on a drying mooring with restricted swinging space. As a result I lift the rudder off. The only problem is that it is heavy so I am experimenting with a marine ply replacement which I can handle.

Cheers John

On 17/08/2010 09:36, David mclardie wrote:
Hi when you leave your boat on it's mooring do you lift the rudder out the water or leave it in ...i always lift it out when lashing the tiller but my boat got a bit of a hard time while on its mooring and was just thinking would it of been better to leave the rudder in the water ....

many thanks

David

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

David mclardie
Under way

Post by David mclardie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 am

Hi john

thanks for the reply my boat is in a deep water mooring but unsure if i should leave it down to help keep the boat pointing into the wind

Regards

David

John Hainsworth
Cruising

on a mooring

Post by John Hainsworth » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi David,

I would say that on a deep water mooring you are best advised to leave it down with the tiller tied in a central position.

John

On 17/08/2010 11:56, David mclardie wrote:
Hi john

thanks for the reply my boat is in a deep water mooring but unsure if i should leave it down to help keep the boat pointing into the wind

Regards

David

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi David
I keep Seren on a swing mooring on the Menai Straits which can be subject to strong wind over tide situations. I've always kept my rudder up on the basis that in strong winds the boat will lie head to wind but I've never seen how it behaves with it down. I think the rudder, and in particular, the stock's nylon bushes will be subject to more wear with it down.
Terry

David mclardie
Under way

Post by David mclardie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for you help on this ....my swift is on a mooring at the bottom of some big hill and last month the high winds must of nearly had the boat on its side while on its mooring the water was turning the boat side on to the wind with some very big gusts. so i was thinking if the rudder down it would point into the wind better ...

regards

David

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:20 pm

In your case you may very well be right . My mooring does all sorts of strange things to my boat; quite often it faces the opposite direction to every other boat in the straits. Quite tricky knowing which direction to approach when returning after a sail.
regards Terry
David mclardie wrote:Thanks for you help on this ....my swift is on a mooring at the bottom of some big hill and last month the high winds must of nearly had the boat on its side while on its mooring the water was turning the boat side on to the wind with some very big gusts. so i was thinking if the rudder down it would point into the wind better ...

regards

David

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

re: on a mooring

Post by whiteede » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:10 am

i can fully agree Terry, my boat is on the teign estuary Devon and i have to hang an old tyre drogue off the back to stop it weaving all over the place. i'm convinced it just wants to sail all the time!
Philip
Nuestro