Leaky Keel Box

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Terry
Cruising

Leaky Keel Box

Post by Terry » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Following a good early start to the season Seren has had to come out for some serious maintenance. After getting a small amount of water on the cabin soul, whenever we heel too far, I put the problem down to rubber keel bolt washers. Replacing them, if anything, just made matters worse. Then I spotted some cracking around the keel box and wondered if I was tightening the bolt too much. I dried Seren out on a sand bank and set to work gunging things up with epoxy and covered the lot with Sikafex. No affect at all! Also, I have water in the foam between the floor and the deck

I’ve now got the keel off at home and have managed to get most of the water out of the foam sandwich. I’ll scrape of the antifouling and have a good look at the join between the hull and keel box when it stops raining.

The method I used to remove the keel was to secure it to the trailer using a small metal crotch 2” wide which would prevent it moving when the boat was lifted clear. Then, with the winder fully up, remover the keel bolt and fully back off the winder, jack up the boat and remove the winder mechanism from the keel as soon as the nuts became exposed. Finally, roll the trailer and keel, together, free of the boat, Easy! The idea is to put it back the same way, Easy?
Attachments
P7240011.JPG
Not Quite up to Garry's boat lifting standards!
P7240012.JPG
P7240013.JPG
Crotch

Rondonay
Cruising

Leaky Keel Box

Post by Rondonay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:15 am

Blimey! Rather you than me Terry, I would be sure to drop it. Good luck with  the repair.

On 24 July 2010 17:27, Terry <forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org (forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org)> wrote:
Following a good early start to the season Seren has had to come out for some serious maintenance. After getting a small amount of water on the cabin soul, whenever we heel too far, I put the problem down to rubber keel bolt washers. Replacing them, if anything, just made matters worse. Then I spotted some cracking around the keel box and wondered if I was tightening the bolt too much. I dried Seren out on a sand bank and set to work gunging things up with epoxy and covered the lot with Sikafex. No affect at all! Also, I have water in the foam between the floor and the deck

I’ve now got the keel off at home and have managed to get most of the water out of the foam sandwich. I’ll scrape of the antifouling and have a good look at the join between the hull and keel box when it stops raining.

The method I used to remove the keel was to secure it to the trailer using a small metal crotch 2” wide which would prevent it moving when the boat was lifted clear. Then, with the winder fully up, remover the keel bolt and fully back off the winder, jack up the boat and remove the winder mechanism from the keel as soon as the nuts became exposed. Finally, roll the trailer and keel, together, free of the boat, Easy! The idea is to put it back the same way, Easy?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Pauline, You'll be pleased to know that Seren's safely back down on her trailer. The pile of wobbly bricks was actually a bit more stable than it looked but it was still a bit scary. I did some repairs but nothing that I could say that was definitely the problem. I pushed the keel box with a car jack placed between the stove platform and the box, and the same on the other side but couldn't find any cracks between it and the hull. One thing I am sure of is that the hull does'nt leak now.

Rondonay
Cruising

Leaky Keel Box

Post by Rondonay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Glad to hear it, Terry.

On 26 July 2010 13:25, Terry <forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org (forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org)> wrote:
Hi Pauline, You'll be pleased to know that Seren's safely back down on her trailer. The pile of wobbly bricks was actually a bit more stable than it looked but it was still a bit scary. I did some repairs but nothing that I could say that was definitely the problem. I pushed the keel box with a car jack placed between the stove platform and the box, and the same on the other side but couldn't find any cracks between it and the hull. One thing I am sure of is that the hull does'nt leak now.

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi Terry,
Phew! all's well that ends well. I suppose you have already considered the possibility of water coming in from the screw holes of the keel box cover (sometimes screws a little to long and go straight through allowing water ingress) just thought I would mention it.

Must be nearing the time for the annual North West Swift Regatta?

Regards Gary/Ruth/Skippy :o3
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

gff_cook
Making way

Leaky Keel Box

Post by gff_cook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Hello

‘Scuse the curiosity, but when’s the ‘North West Swift Regatta’? I know one website member was trying to summon Swifts to Rutland Water – seems to not be happening, so another venue nearer Windermere? - could be very interesting.

Geoff Cook

Sent: 26 July 2010 17:29
To: forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Leaky Keel Box

Hi Terry,
Phew! all's well that ends well. I suppose you have already considered the possibility of water coming in from the screw holes of the keel box cover (sometimes screws a little to long and go straight through allowing water ingress) just thought I would mention it.

Regards Gary/Ruth/Skippy Image

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Leaky Keel Box

Post by John Hainsworth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Funny you should notice that. I now have my Swift on the water and when I get going in a good breeze the water shoots up my leg. One self tapper solverd the problem.

Cheers john Taranaki Poole Harbour

On 26/07/2010 17:29, CHERRY PIE wrote:
Hi Terry,

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi Gary, funny you should mention the screw holes. In fact water wasn't leaking that way but was leaching through the bottom of the cover and (I think) then finding it's way thought cracks around the keelbox and collecting under the floor. The fact that it fooled me into taking the keel off, well what a pain! I wish I'd had your cunning device. Still, I learned a lot taking it out.
As for the regatta, I'm dead keen. Simon and Janet were up the other week but I don't think they got out much, they ended up hiring a caravan instead! I'll contact them and see if they'll come up again some time. What dates would suit you?
CHERRY PIE wrote:Hi Terry,

Regards Gary/Ruth/Skippy :o3

Terry
Cruising

Re: Leaky Keel Box

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Geof,
At the moment the North Wales Swift regatta was/is a bit tongue in cheek, the 5 of us + dog met up last year and so we called it a regatta. Although If we do make a date I'm sure you would be more than welcome (and anyone else for that matter.)
gff_cook wrote:Hello

‘Scuse the curiosity, but when’s the ‘North West Swift Regatta’? I know one website member was trying to summon Swifts to Rutland Water – seems to not be happening, so another venue nearer Windermere? - could be very interesting.

Geoff Cook

Hi Terry,

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

gff_cook
Making way

Leaky Keel Box

Post by gff_cook » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:33 am

Hi

Sorry, I confused North Wales with North West.

Geoff

Sent: 26 July 2010 22:59

Hi Geof,
At the moment the North Wales Swift regatta was/is a bit tongue in cheek, the three of us met up last year and so we called it a regatta. Although If we do make a date I'm sure you would be more than welcome (and anyone else for that matter.)
gff_cook wrote:
Hello

Geoff Cook

To: forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org (forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org)

Hi Terry,

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE