Centre board dropped off end of screw URGENT HELP!

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Kevinbwilko
Making way

Post by Kevinbwilko » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi all, hope somebody sees this very soon. Have just aboandoned my Swift on end of a jetty as the winding mechanism appears to have fallen off! There is a brass 'lump' at the end of the screw but I can't see anything else. Is it possible to just drag the boat onto the trailer to lift the keel or iare there any tips to sort this out. All the marinas on Windermere are either too busy or shut at weekend!!!!!

HELP

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Post by Elwyn Williams » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Yes you are on the right lines, beach the boat, obviously bow 1st remove covers to centreplate housing to take any upward pressure off the rest of the winding gear, if you are lucky it has just unscrewed off the thread. If you can get a rope or even better a strop under the lifted keel. As you are in non tidal waters you will have to recover the boat onto the trailer or get it lifted in order to remove the centre plate inspection cover to reassemble, the round cover is below water level with any additional weight on board i.e. you crew etc

Not a totally major problem , if the split pin has failed on the end of the screw easy job
If the bush has failed. I’m sure someone else on this site can help you out with a replacement

Hope it Helps

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwyn.williams@hotmail.co.uk (MSN Video Messaging Enabled)

Or :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com

Tel:

Home 01386 831471
Mobile +447762 600486 (MMS Enabled)

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for attention and use of the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, take any action on this e-mail. Internet communications are not secure and therefore the sender does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or attachments of this message.

Sent: 12 June 2010 19:20
To: forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Centre board dropped off end of screw URGENT HELP!

Hi all, hope somebody sees this very soon. Have just aboandoned my Swift on end of a jetty as the winding mechanism appears to have fallen off! There is a brass 'lump' at the end of the screw but I can't see anything else. Is it possible to just drag the boat onto the trailer to lift the keel or iare there any tips to sort this out. All the marinas on Windermere are either too busy or shut at weekend!!!!!

HELP

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Attachments
image003.png
Elwyn Williams

Kevinbwilko
Making way

Thanks

Post by Kevinbwilko » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for that, will try tomorrow. The diagram looks somewhat different to what I have seen through the top..... but here goes!!!!!

gff_cook
Making way

Post by gff_cook » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Hello

This happened to me (on Windermere) 2 years ago: luckily I was alongside a Ferry Nab jetty about to slip the boat for winter storage. With the trailer in the water it’s relatively easy to centre the boat, draw it onto the trailer * this automatically pushes the keel up into its keel box housing – and trail the boat onto dry land. Inside you’ll probably find the winding thread is protruding from the keel housing – not a problem. You may even be able to locate its lower end in the nut in the metal jaws attached to the keel – in which case it’s almost job done.
In either event, once the hull is totally out of water, you should remove the keel case housing and the small inspection hatch cover (starboard side of keel box) whence you can re-thread the winding thread AND, when you’ve done that, place a locking nut on its end to prevent the keel parting company with the winding gear again.

* If you don’t centre the boat fairly exactly onto the trailer, depending on the trailer’s structure, your keel might pass over a transverse frame of the trailer but drop into a slot either side of the central keel rollers. In this case the keel (mostly up inside the keel housing at this point) will need to be strapped up by webbing straps passed under it and secured over the gunwales to prevent the keel falling further, then the boat jacked up from the trailer enough for the keel to be levered totally up inside the housing and the boat gently un-jacked back onto the trailer.

Hope this helps

Geoff Cook

Sent: 12 June 2010 19:20
To: forum-tillerkeel@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Centre board dropped off end of screw URGENT HELP!

HELP

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 pm

This has happened a few times to us as we have no split pin...we count the turns up and down and some times we get it wrong. A metal coat hanger with a hook on one end will help to locate the brass bush when you have your Swift pulled up on shore...firk it up and screw the threaded bar in. If the bush is stripped pass a rope through the bush and use it to support the keel while you get it back on the trailer. Hope this helps.
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18