Clonking from the keel

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Terry
Cruising

Clonking from the keel

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 pm

When I’m sleeping down below, if there’s a bit of a swell running, I can hear a bit of a clonking sound from the keel box. Do swifts always do this is or is my keel bolt bush wearing? If it is wearing, I thought I might whip the keel off as soon as the weather improves and see if I can get another made. By the way, does anyone know what its made of? Possibly nylon?

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

keel clonk!

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:50 am

Hi, Is the clonk side to side, or foward and back.?..SIDE TO SIDE=possible gap between the cheek face and keel box inside face.(WORN OR MISSING SPACERS) Or worn (OVOID HOLE) in the insert in the keel pivot point. Having messed about with my keel for about 8 to 9 times, you DO NOT want it to be a tight fit, as it will not swing or lift.!!! Are you sure its not a fender banging on the hull,or a mermaid trying to board your boat.? You must be keen ( or nuts!) sleeping on the boat in this weather!!!!! For spacers try.. NYLON,NYLITE,NYLATRON,DELRIN,ALKATHENE, in thin sheet, or cut spacers from the lids of a Walls 4 ltr ice cream lid.!! for the keel insert use,... NYLITE,NYLATRON OR NYLITE(all hard plastics) Most can be obtained from plastic retailers in bar,tube, block,sheet etc All the best regards MIKE.

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Mike,
I'm not that hard! I've noticed this noise (when rocking side to side) over a few years. I'm only bringing it up now because, as the spring approaches, I was beginning to think about doing something about it. Thanks for suggestions. I have a tame local engineer who will supply the plastic breadboard stuff I think you mean. I have used this stuff before for rudder pin bushes and the like.
Thanks again from thoroughly miserable North Wales!