keel winder loose

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Pickwix
Run aground

keel winder loose

Post by Pickwix » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:16 pm

I have just tried to raise my keel and its obvious the winding mechanism has become detached from the keel. Do I have to take the boat out of the water to repair this problem or is there a way I can it in situ?

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

keel lift

Post by mikeprojectboat » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi, Is the keel loose and swinging, are you on a drying mooring,? Do you have a inspection hatch in the keel box,? Do you know how the winding gear is fixed at the base?(threaded rod) ,can you get it to a slipway,? And yes you might be lucky to get it to re-wind itself back on subject to a yes to some of the previous questions, otherwise you will have to have a lift out.!! But only as a LAST ..LAST.. resort. ..sweet talk to the boat, bet its payback time for you for neglecting it or swearing at it.!! Just like a woman. !!! (excluding all female swift owners and sailors of course.!) regards mike in very dry norfolk

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:16 am

Guessing you have wound the screw out to far and thereby relesed the keel, if so get a wire coat hanger or similar...pull the threaded bar out of the way and drive the boat up a gently sloping beach/forshore. As the keel comes up get a torch and the wire coat hanger and using surgeon like skills ferk around for the bronze bush lifting it up to the upright position...then screw the threaded bar with the nylon bush back into place. Good Luck...Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Pickwix
Run aground

Keel haul

Post by Pickwix » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks for the responses to my problem of a loose keel I am on Barton Broad Would be safe/okay to sail the boat in this condition?

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 am

If its what I guessed it was then try and fix it, I would not advise sailing with a loose keel. The mechanism to my mind not only winds the keel up and down but also keeps it from swinging about which may cause damage if loose. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18