Flooded boat and now foam buoyancy tanks full of water HELP

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
Matt
Run aground

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 am

The boat was flooded and the sealed foam buoyancy tanks have got water in them. Has anyone any ideas on how to empty them and does the foam absorb water i am hopeful the water is just round the outside of the foam.. Is there a bilge area between the hull and cabin floor and could this be flooded?

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi Mat
Assuming you are ashore, you could drill drainage holes at the bas of the bunks, drain, air and reseal. How did it flood though?
Pauline

Jul 6, 2009 12:46:09 PM, forum-maintenance@swift18.org wrote:
The boat was flooded and the sealed foam buoyancy tanks have got water in them. Has anyone any ideas on how to empty them and does the foam absorb water i am hopeful the water is just round the outside of the foam.. Is there a bilge area between the hull and cabin floor and could this be flooded?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Not sure if this helps but we have a kind of mini bilge on Cherry Pie, take a look at or gallery their is a picture of it with the water tight lid taken off... we usually keep a piece of sponge in there and squeeze it out now and then.. it holds about a cupful of water..Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Matt
Run aground

Thanks all

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:58 pm

i will cut the mini bilge hole in the floor. Would the water in the foam under the bunks drain into the bilge ? or is the bilge sealed to the foam.
The boat went over in a storm and was swamped. See my wanted add for a mast now that will be a challenge finding a mast. I have been quoted over £1000.

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:21 am

Re the mast..I would have thought your boat insurance would cover such an eventuality? no idea if the bunk would drain into the mini bilge but we do get a little water in there from time to time.
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Try direct messaging Mike (mike boatproject.) As he's made a boat from scratch, if anyone knows how water will drain through a swift it's going to be him.