Mouldy Upholstry !

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
Digital-des
Anchored

Mouldy Upholstry !

Post by Digital-des » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Made the stupid mistake of leaving the cushions in all winter, to find them this week covered in black condensation mould / mildew !

They are fabric on the top / sides & plastic on the bottom, with removable foam infill.

Anyone tried to clean them? - had any success ? - What did you use ?
Otherwise has anyone tried to make new ones?
Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Thanx
Alan

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Mine are light blue and show every mark (rust stains are the worst!) I don't know what the fabric is but it seems quite tough so I just machine wash them at 40degrees. the side cushions are easy because they just zip off but the 2 front middle ones are stapled to plywood. I undo all the staples but you need to hand wash these due to the possiblity of fraying. I suppose you could try foam carpet cleaner.
I was wondering about dying mine a darker blue does anyone know whether the fabric will take a dye?

Rondonay
Cruising

Mouldy Upholstry !

Post by Rondonay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:00 pm

It looks likw Welsh Wool to me, very trendy in the early 80s. You could test a small patch?
If you have a friend with a sewing machine, your fraying fears could be a thing of the past with a bit of judicious zig-zagging.
Pauline

Apr 22, 2009 06:10:16 PM, forum-maintenance@swift18.org wrote:
Mine are light blue and show every mark (rust stains are the worst!) I don't know what the fabric is but it seems quite tough so I just machine wash them at 40degrees. the side cushions are easy because they just zip off but the 2 front middle ones are stapled to plywood. I undo all the staples but you need to hand wash these due to the possiblity of fraying. I suppose you could try foam carpet cleaner.
I was wondering about dying mine a darker blue does anyone know whether the fabric will take a dye?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks Pauline, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Digital-des
Anchored

Post by Digital-des » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the help & replies.
Didn't expect such a quick response .
Since I dont intend to sleep on the boat this year I've brought them home
to work on.
The extra lightness might give me a bit more speed !
Cheers
Alan

Digital-des
Anchored

Upholstery

Post by Digital-des » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi all, Eventually I ended getting 2 very durable self inflatable airbeds from Great Outdoors
They are 50mm thick & are made from breathable water resistant material.
Although they do not have the slight curve of the boat, they fit ok & for the price they are spot on.