Gas !!

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
Jstoppy
Anchored

Gas !!

Post by Jstoppy » Wed May 09, 2007 2:51 pm

Hi All

I am on the last legs of my refurbishment for "Little hog" and now at the gas fitting stage. This site as been an inspiration.

The old, probably original, micro bore piping disappears into the body of the boat and I am unhappy with its general condition, so have decided to not use. I am planning to re route new pipe in conduit in full view so I can check its conditiion for years to come. Any advice welcomed.

The main question is; how is the gas bottle secured in the rear locker and additionally vented in case of leaks?? The original fixing appears a little bodged just a strap screwed to bits of glued wood with no apparent vent.

I have also been told to put a roof vent above the hob/grill is this wise??

Thanks
John Stopford

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed May 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi John
The gas bottle in mine is fixed in a separate container inside the starboard locker bolted th the wall between it and the outboard well. It has a vent into the outboard well (all be it too small) and it does restrict access to the locker. Like yours, all my pipe work is now questionable but I always turn it off at the bottle unless I'm actually cooking (when I remember!)
Next time I'm down on the boat I'll try to photo it unless someone does so in the mean time.
Regards
Terry

Rondonay
Cruising

Gas

Post by Rondonay » Wed May 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi John,

I got Rondonay checked out by a Corgi (boat) fitter for BSS scheme compliance. Here is the gist of the advice received.
Our gas locker is as Terry describes his & is compliant. However, the pipe is all you say it is and should be replaced by a wider diameter copper pipe, running at the same height throughout from bottle to cooker & must be left visible. This is ok as it will go along the inside the top of the quarter berth, behind the back rest and to the cooker.

I think Rob had a vent fitted on advice...not sure. Someone posted on the old forum saying they passed BSS because, like me, they never cook without opening the fore hatch, we didn't really get that bit of info clear from our adviser.

Hope this helps.

Pauline

Jstoppy
Anchored

Post by Jstoppy » Fri May 11, 2007 11:48 am

Thanks

That explains the holes on the starboard side outboard well. Is the box custom made or in the best tradition DIY??

The info on the pipe being in line with the bottle is good and as you mention should be easily achived as suggested. Reading the boat MOT stuff for navigations it explains that all bulkheads should have connectors which is straight forward but how is the flexible hose conected to the gas system. ie is it fixed to the box or boat bulhead??

Once again thanks

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri May 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Can't help on the bulkhead issues (I haven't needed the BSS thing so far.) I think the gas container came as standard with Swifts but it does restrict access to some extent which is why yours might have been taken out.
Terry