headlining/maintenance

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

headlining/maintenance

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Have a look at some of the plastic/rubber edging used in kit car builds. You can get these in colours with a small return (2MM-7MM) you will have to use a hairdrier (LOW HEAT) to get the tight bends, but try forming it round a hardboard template first ,this will cover up the raw edge of the headlining and fit tight against the plastic window.. Edging is like the letter L vertical from 20mm to 50mm horizontal 2mm to20mm. Regards Mike in sunny and warm Norfolk

Dave High
Run aground

Headlining Renewals

Post by Dave High » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:03 am

Really appreciating the timely discussion on headlining replacement - doing this job currently on Orion, she will be in Loch Tay this season....
I had a look round on the internet for the L shape edge trim strips you suggested that are used in kit cars for round the windows and hatch. They sound a great idea but did not find anyone on google who supplies these. If you have links to sites / contact details for outlets it would be greatly appreciated. Contrast between sunny Norfolk and squally Scotland :) :)
Owner of Orion, sail mostly on Loch Tay

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:26 am

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks Rob,
very useful links, I've just bought some edgeing for the outboard lid from one of them
cheers,
martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

nickf
Under way

Headlinings

Post by nickf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for all the information.I have cleaned up what I have for this season but when I take it home iin Oct I shall be doing improvements

Nick-Low cloud has settled over Devon, Sprout seeds are through though
Nicholas