boat lift

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
CHERRY PIE
Cruising

boat lift

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi all,
Here is the boat lift we had made, works well and we were able to work on the keel in safety. The picture has been added to our gallery.
PS considerable amount of barnicles were removed from the keel so watch out Terry/Simon&Janet for a swifter Swift <:-p

Gary,Ruth and Skipper :o3
Attachments
boat lift.JPG
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

gff_cook
Making way

boat lift

Post by gff_cook » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi

That lift (and CP) look really super; do you have plans available?

Working on mine – a JCA build – a small patch of what appeared to be grp sheathing came away from the keel; some rust had got underneath. Were the early boats’ keels sheathed? Must have it out next winter – so a copy of your lift would fit the bill well.

Geoff Cook

Sent: 18 April 2010 20:38
To: forum-maintenance@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] boat lift

Hi all,
Here is the boat lift we had made, works well and we were able to work on the keel in safety.

Gary,Ruth and Skipper Image

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

BOAT LIFT

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Geoff,
Glad you like it. The "T" pieces and floor beam were made out of 60x60mm and the lift beam 100x60mm.

The design needs tweaking to suit and there are a few modifications needed for example the "T" pieces are to long...no detriment but no need for the length. The welders put 4 holes in the "T" section uprights 1 foot apart as asked and I had to make some more to suit... the holes they put in were sleeved to prevent tearing of the steel mine were not. I am thinking of designing a similar type of lift arrangement for the back of the boat. The plan was drawn by myself and is a rough guide that the mechanical services guys used to help in the manufacture they added strength and made it robust.
Cost mates rates £250. Manufactured by Peter Jones Mechanical Services Ltd.
The keel was covered in those pesky barmycles and they were scraped off, traces of glass fibre sheathing remained but the keel was mainly in its raw state. A good grinding off and a couple of coats of primer finished with some anti fouling...sorted
Attachments
BOAT LIFT PLAN UPDATED 19.04.10.doc
(53 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
boat lift with trailer.JPG
BOAT LIFT.jpg
Last edited by CHERRY PIE on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gff_cook
Making way

boat lift

Post by gff_cook » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Hello

Thanks for the plan; can you fill me in the text in the labels – came out rather small? Do you use two beams, one amidships, one aft? And only one central jack – so is the beam unsecured from 1ft to the next ft lift?

Sorry about the questions but it really looks like you have good answers.

Geoff Cook

Sent: 19 April 2010 12:44
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: boat lift

Hi Geoff,
Glad you like it. The "T" pieces and floor beam were made out of 60x40mm and the lift beam 100x60mm

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

BOAT LIFT

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Geoff,

I used two jacks one would have been sufficient but it was trial and error at first...one in the middle of the beam and one about a foot away I placed a small spirit level on top of the beam to ensure an even rise and was a big help, the extra holes I put in made it so I could fix it in place before having a look and going to another level. I have updated the plan using the benefit of hindsight and made it available for you to download.

Gary
Attachments
Cherry Pie stern 1kb.JPG

gff_cook
Making way

boat lift

Post by gff_cook » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Many thanks Gary & Ruth

Could you let me have the text of the labels of the plan – would be most helpful?

Thanks again

Geoff Cook

Sent: 19 April 2010 16:52

Hi Geoff,

I used two jacks one would have been sufficient but it was trial and error at first...one in the middle of the beam and one about a foot away I placed a small spirit level on top of the beam to ensure an even rise and was a big help, the extra holes I put in made it so I could fix it in place before having a look and going to another level.

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Geoff,
I think you may have missed the download of the plan, I have made the text in the labels easier to see... look just below the picture of the plan and click on the download.

Gary

gff_cook
Making way

boat lift

Post by gff_cook » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:06 am

Gary

Many thanks

Geoff

Sent: 19 April 2010 23:49

Geoff,
I think you may have missed the download of the plan, I have made the text in the labels easier to see... look just below the picture of the plan and click on the download.

Gary

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE