Cost of new sails?

Discussions related to sails etc
dewaard
Under way

Cost of new sails?

Post by dewaard » Sat May 09, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm thinking of getting new main and genoa to replace by tired and stretched Jack Holt sails. I'm currently measuring my old sils to get an idea of their qeometary to help me in getting a 'like for like' quote from suppliers.

I have had a quote back from one supplier (at that stage just asking for a 'replacement set of a main and genoa') .........£585 inc VAT for the main and £400 inc VAT for the (135%) genoa. How does this compare to other peoples recents purchases or quotes? I was kind of hoping to get both for around the £700 mark. Is that reasonable to expect. I only want cruising sails as dont race. Your thoughts fellow sailers

Cheers

Jim

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 pm

We've just had a new set of sails from Jeckells - main and genny using a 'cruiser racer' spec for the cut and cloth etc. It cost us £1k. The sails are very good. See elsewhere on the forum for discussion ab0ut sizes etc. We had ours cut to the original sailplan from the designer's drawings. We also have a working Jib which I had made from a little used sail. This is an 80% sail and we use it in stronger breezes. Lots of people have told me that such a sail is very useful for inshore sailing and heavier weather.

Tony G

dewaard
Under way

Post by dewaard » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks Tony. I have seen the origial Colin Sylvester sail specs and I think I might plumb for that geometry once I come to terms with the cost! I'm sure the genny is bigger than my current one.

I have a working jib which is in good nick and as you say, is really useful when the winds really strong. I also have a crusing chute (with snuffler) which is a lot of fun....and pretty too, in red white and blue,

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

Cost of new sails?

Post by whiteede » Mon May 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I had quotes from Suffolk sails Woodford and Jeckels both around £600 for a main!  Living in the west country I tried Westaway and R&J at Clevedon in Somerset both at £400 for a main in first rate white cloth.  Colour was similar price but shorter lasting material.
Philip
Nuestro

Sent: 09 May 2009 23:03
To: forum-sails@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Cost of new sails?

I'm thinking of getting new main and genoa to replace by tired and stretched Jack Holt sails. I'm currently measuring my old sils to get an idea of their qeometary to help me in getting a 'like for like' quote from suppliers.

I have had a quote back from one supplier (at that stage just asking for a 'replacement set of a main and genoa') .........£585 inc VAT for the main and £400 inc VAT for the (135%) genoa. How does this compare to other peoples recents purchases or quotes? I was kind of hoping to get both for around the £700 mark. Is that reasonable to expect. I only want cruising sails as dont race. Your thoughts fellow sailers

Cheers

Jim

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Mon May 18, 2009 4:27 pm

SAIL LOGO: Don't forget that the site now has the proper sail logo somewhere but it's only the jpg file and so may not be good enough for your sail maker. If you want the pdf or Illustrator file that they can use let me know.

Tony G

dewaard
Under way

sail prices

Post by dewaard » Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the advice Philip, I will give Westaway and R&J a try. The Westaway website looks impressive and £400 is very good value

Jim