Sails

Discussions related to sails etc
Rondonay
Cruising

Jib

Post by Rondonay » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Well we tested the home made jib fairly extensively & it works a treat. The boat never handled as positively before. Happy outcome. :D Piccies later in the week.

joe_swift18
Under way

Swift Dimensions

Post by joe_swift18 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:35 am

Apparently, the main measurements sail makers need are the I, J, P and E measurements of the rig. These are:

I - Jib\Genoa sheave to working deck (not coach roof at mast)
J - Jib\Genoa tack at bow roller to front of mast
P - Main sheave to top of boom (can also use the black bands)
E - rear of mast to outhaul sheave (can also use balck bands)

I measured them last night and on Evergreen they are:

I - 21' 6" (6553mm)
J - 7' 8" (2340mm)
P - 23' 9.5" (7252mm)
E- 7' 1" (2159mm)

Different boats may differ a bit but Evergreen was manuf. in July 1985 (S197) by the original manufacturer JCA (I think).

I measured the LP (length of line perpendicular to luff to clew) on the genoa and it measured 9' 1.5" (2781mm). Which works out when compared to J as a 120% Genoa (ie genoa is 20% longer than J giving the overlap with main). Does anyone know if 120% Genoas were the standard fitted on Swifts?

I have just discovered that my spinnaker is in fact asymmetrical (I never took it out of the bag and just assumed it was a symmetrical). This explains why my boat didn't have a spinny pole and the up/down haul wasn't rigged. This I assume is a cruising chute. It has dimensions of 22' 2" on luff, 19' 2" on leech, and 11' 9" on foot. I work it out as a little over 200sqft. Were these supplied as standard with the boats? Do they perform well?

BTW have discovered that spinny pole length should equal a boat's J length. So for swift 18 this would be a 2340mm pole about 45mm outer diameter would be fine. For a symmetrical spinny the sail maker works on the I and J lengths.

Joe

joe_swift18
Under way

Swift Dimensions

Post by joe_swift18 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:02 am

Apparently, the main measurements sail makers need are the I, J, P and E measurements of the rig. These are:

I - Jib\Genoa sheave to working deck (not coach roof at mast)
J - Jib\Genoa tack at bow roller to front of mast
P - Main sheave to top of boom (can also use the black bands)
E - rear of mast to outhaul sheave (can also use balck bands)

I measured them last night and on Evergreen they are:

I - 21' 6" (6553mm)
J - 7' 8" (2340mm)
P - 23' 9.5" (7252mm)
E- 7' 1" (2159mm)

Different boats may differ a bit but Evergreen was manuf. in July 1985 (S197) by the original manufacturer JCA (I think).

I measured the LP (length of line perpendicular to luff to clew) on the genoa and it measured 9' 1.5" (2781mm). Which works out when compared to J as a 120% Genoa (ie genoa is 20% longer than J giving the overlap with main). Does anyone know if 120% Genoas were the standard fitted on Swifts?

I have just discovered that my spinnaker is in fact asymmetrical (I never took it out of the bag and just assumed it was a symmetrical). This explains why my boat didn't have a spinny pole and the up/down haul wasn't rigged. This I assume is a cruising chute. It has dimensions of 22' 2" on luff, 19' 2" on leech, and 11' 9" on foot. I work it out as a little over 200sqft. Were these supplied as standard with the boats? Do they perform well?

BTW have discovered that spinny pole length should equal a boat's J length. So for swift 18 this would be a 2340mm pole about 45mm outer diameter would be fine. For a symmetrical spinny the sail maker works on the I and J lengths.

Joe

Rondonay
Cruising

Home made jib

Post by Rondonay » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:43 am

Pictures posted in gallery

jjspicer
Under way

Post by jjspicer » Thu May 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Just tried the new genoa from Jekells and WOW, what a difference. I had no idea the old sail was so ineffecient and all I can say is that is the best money I have spent on my boat yet.
________
Phantom
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodrigo
Run aground

Dimensions of Working Jib

Post by Rodrigo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:38 pm

I am looking for a working jib to supplement the roller reefing genoa on my Swift 18, Rolo - (made by JCA Marine in 1982, sail number 6). The intended use of the new sail does not warrant a significant investment and this view was confirmed on receipt of a quote from Wroxham.

However, I have acquired a set of second-hand sails from a Westerly Chieftain and my latest plan is to try and persuade a local sailmaker to cut down one of these sails at reasonable cost to a size suitable for Rolo.

I have thought about having a go at making a homemade jib, but feel that I lack the necessary skills and equipment. Whatever the outcome, it would be useful to have some working jib measurements and if anyone can supply these I shall be most grateful.

Rondonay
Cruising

Sails

Post by Rondonay » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi,You could have a go. Kayospruce sell the luff tape you'd need to slot the new sail into the groove on the rotastay. I made a jib with half the foot measurement of the genoa, using the genoa for leech & luff line.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Rodrigo
Run aground

Re: Sails

Post by Rodrigo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:27 am

[quote="Rondonay"]....... I made a jib with half the foot measurement of the genoa, using the genoa for leech & luff line.

Many thanks for your comments. I see that Kayospruce offer quite a selection of luff tapes. Can you recommend a particular one and do you know if I need the 7mm size for the Rotostay FS4 on my boat??

I cannot aspire to match the quality or finish of your yellow jib, but presumably you are an experienced needleperson. Did you use a heavy-duty sewing machine with zig-zag or just an ordinary domestic one??

Rondonay
Cruising

Sails

Post by Rondonay » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi,I used my domestic machine, but it is a Husqvarna which is very tough.I BELIEVE it was the 7mm tape that I got. I checked with rotastay and they confirmed that all the 'pear shaped' spars were the same spec. I went ahead and it worked fine.The tape is a doddle to fit, and binds the edges as it goes on. :0)

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Colne Bar
Under way

Genoa size

Post by Colne Bar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I think my genoa may be a bit oversize (for coastal sailing at least) as I frequently need 3-5 rolls of furling to keep the boat balanced in say Force 3-4.
Measurements are Luff 6.05m leech 5.80m foot 3.35m and PD 3.15m making it 134% overlap (J=2.35m)
Does anyone know how these measurements compare to 'standard'?

I am thinking of getting a smaller genoa made with 100% overlap which would in effect be the same area as the current one with 3 rolls of furling for general cruising use. Anyone else tried this?

Ed
Anchored

Genoa size

Post by Ed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Yes, I've just done the same for my boat Webley.
I only sail on Rutland water and mostly single handed currently.

I was getting frustrated by the lack of sail shape when I was out in anything above F3. When I put more than 3 rolls into the sail it became pretty useless for anything other than backing to blow the bow around.

I went down from an old 125% to a new 110% sail that rolls down 2 turns to somewhere around 80-90%.

Its made a large difference to boat handling, but ever since I've had it the few chances I get to sail have only been light wind so haven't tried in winder conditions yet.
Cost me around £300

Colne Bar
Under way

Post by Colne Bar » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Following up from my previous post last September... I bit the bullet in the autumn and got a good deal for a new furling genoa from Crusader Sails made to 'original' dimensions they had on record plus measurements from my boat.
I have been very pleased with the sail, it has been just right for the conditions this season and furls nicely when needed, I've been out in F5 on one occasion.