INCASTEC MINI DEPTH SOUNDER

Discussions related to onboard electronic toys
CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue May 26, 2009 9:34 am

Can anyone help with my query? I need to replace my incastec mini depth sounder, I would like to know if I can leave my transducer in place and utilise it with a new nasa clipper depth sounder... the transducers look identical. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 am

Thanks Dave, I spoke to Nasa yesterday they assured me that my incastec mini depth sounder is 150khz and would be compatable with the Nasa depth sounder. I am awaiting delivery of a Nasa depth sounder (Marinestore .com £105 inc. delivery) I have a spare incastec transducer in the shed and I will test it out in a tub of water and let everyone know how I get on. Gary

helenandpete
Under way

Post by helenandpete » Wed May 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Nasa have been also been very helpful to me. My Clipper Wind was not working and after talking to Nasa they sent me a diagram of the original cable connections in their plug. This showed that the last owner had not connected the cable screen in the through deck plug and socket. Wind speed and direction all working fine now.
Also I have just got hold of an old Navtex Receiver (not working) and they are being great help even down to asking me to send a photo of the Printed Circuit Board so they can identify the model and where the disconnected wires come from.
Pete
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 27 May 2009 10:39
To: forum-electronics@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: INCASTEC MINI DEPTH SOUNDER
Thanks Dave, I spoke to Nasa yesterday they assured me that my incastec mini depth sounder is 150khz and would be compatable with the Nasa depth sounder. I am awaiting delivery of a Nasa depth sounder (Marinestore .com £105 inc. delivery) I have a spare incastec transducer in the shed and I will test it out in a tub of water and let everyone know how I get on. Gary

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Best Regards

Peter

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri May 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Connected the nasa depth sounder to my spare incastec transducer and tested in a tub of water... works no problem,I will now have to see what size hole I have to work with when removing the old incastec depth sounder in order to fit the nasa product. If I were to use the nasa transducer it would require me to enlarge the hole as it is thicker, so I am pleased that the old incastec transducer is compatable. Gary

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:54 am

Fitted the new nasa depth sounder...it does'nt quite cover the hole left by the incastec so had to use a backing plate. Plugged in the old transducer left in situ and low and behold I got the error message OUT. So it looks like the transducer has failed...to fit the new nasa transducer would require lifting Cherry Pie out or digging a hole when dried out on a sanbank in order to remove the transducer and drilling a bigger hole to accept the new nasa transducer. I thouht a temporary fix might be to plug in the nasa transducer put a good dollop of blue tack on the end of it and squidge it to the inside of the hull perhaps under the sink or cockpit sole...the nasa fitting instructions mentions chewing gum do they still sell BAZOOKA. ..Thanks for the replies...Gary
Last edited by CHERRY PIE on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Just to finish off this story of the depth sounder, we decided to pop Cherry Pie back on to her trailer yesterday, in order to remove the faulty incastec transducer...all went well in replacing it with the new nasa transducer and we now have a functioning depth sounder. As a matter of interest I discovered what the problem was with the old transducer in the middle of removing it...I gave a gentle pull on the wire going into the transducer and the wire just popped out showing the bare end so the connection must have failed. I intend to replace the piece of waste pipe that was over the transducer sometime in the near future...the end of the waste pipe was above the water line I suppose in case the head of the transducer got knocked off.