Trailer 'guide' question

Discussions related to Swift trailers
Simon Weston
Anchored

AA RECOVERY

Post by Simon Weston » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:24 pm

I lost a wheel whilst driving back from Abersoch N. Wales at the beginning of october, despite the trailer's brakes and wheel bearings being professionally refurbished only the week before. Having retrieved the wheel from a field I was unable to re-fit it because two of the wheel studs had broken. Called the AA who sent out a recovery truck which loaded the boat & trailer on the back and took Whacker the 105miles home to the Wirral! Can only praise the AA for their excellent service and Port Sunlight Trailers who came out the next day to check the brakes, repalce both wheels/studs and wheel bearings.

Simon

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 am

Coming back to the original message, I've just had a look this morning and my SBS trailer guide arms don't project more than the boats beam.
Terry

last_tuesday
Under way

Post by last_tuesday » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Well, regardless of the legalities of leaving the guide arms in place, our boat is home. 1300 miles driven , more fuel than I care to add up, and a terrestrial form of jet lag :)

Trusty Saab proved as reilable as ever. Only mantainance required en-route - one low beam head lamp bulb.

Gale force winds, sunshine, hail, lashing rain & sleet over Drumochter, we've had the lot :)

Rondonay
Cruising

Trailer 'guide' question

Post by Rondonay » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Well done!!
Pauline

Oct 26, 2008 04:09:35 PM, forum-trailers@swift18.org wrote:
Well, regardless of the legalities of leaving the guide arms in place, our boat is home. 1300 miles driven , more fuel than I care to add up, and a terrestrial form of jet lag Image

Trusty Saab proved as reilable as ever. Only mantainance required en-route - one low beam head lamp bulb.

Gale force winds, sunshine, hail, lashing rain & sleet over Drumochter, we've had the lot Image

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

last_tuesday
Under way

Post by last_tuesday » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Does the fact that Windermere seems to have expanded mean that it will be cheaper to moor there next year?

The one thing your photo shows is that it is important to leave the guide arms in place, and also secure the craft to the trailer, and always remember to anchor your trailer securely. ( I would have thought that 6 times depth would be a reasonable length if you were to use a mixed chain/warp rode. I'll have to ask the boss, to see if they've covered the anchoring of trailers on her Day Skipper course :) )

I'll be digging a big hole in our drive tonight, to drop our anchor into, just in case.

I trust your boat is fine?

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm

It's the same picture on Coniston - jetties under water, our little club house flooded. I temporarily left my trailer on the beach and they're nowhere to be seen (beach nor trailer). I just hope it's not submerged long enough to knacker the bearings and brakes.

martin
Attachments
Club house after strong winds and rain.jpg
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"