Unbraked Trailer boat weight

Discussions related to Swift trailers
Artemis
Under way

Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I am looking to buy a Swift 18 and my vehicle can only tow up to 750kg, if the trailer does not have breaks. I see another post said their unit was a total of 1000kg on the weighbridge. I also note that earlier boats were lighter due to the keel weight. I have no problem towing with a braked trailer but it seems I may not be safe/legal without trailer brakes. Has anyone else taken their unit to the weighbridge and had a lower weight than the 1000kg noted above? I think it is possible that some trailers could be more heavy and the trailer I am considering at the moment looks light and would probably make for an easier launch too. Clearly I could take out as much weight as possible, like the engine. I may need to ask the owner if he has the ticket for the weighbridge total weight. It is helpful to get as much information from people who have dealt with this sort of issue, so I would be grateful to hear the experience of others.

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Artemis!
750kg is the max for any unbraked trailer, I doubt you would be able to get any Swift (including trailer) under that. You really need a braked trailer.
Good luck fining a boat!
Rob

Artemis
Under way

Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Thank you very much for your response and clearly you are right. I will need to find a Swift with a braked trailer.
Best wishes
Peter

Sent: 13 January 2014 10:02
To: forum-trailers@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Unbraked Trailer boat weight

Hi Artemis!
750kg is the max for any unbraked trailer, I doubt you would be able to get any Swift (including trailer) under that. You really need a braked trailer.
Good luck fining a boat!
Rob

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Peter