Displacement

Discussions related to Swift trailers
robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Malcolm,
I know the early boats, up to No. 95 had a lighter keel than later boats. I have a couple of magazine reports from 1982 and JCA brochure which list the displacement as 660kg with 190kg ballast. I suspect this is with the early keel. I also have a very similar brochure from Swiftcraft, (same company, later name!) which quotes the displacement as 720kg. (later keel?) The 690kg on this website is from the Marlin brochure.
So I suspect the displacement quoted in your magazine article is incorrect, sorry!
Don't forget that in the 1980's all the figures were in pounds and have been converted to killograms, mistakes do occur!
Rob

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Malcolm,
I think we had a discussion about displacement back on the old yahoo group some time ago. I certainly remember agonising over whether my car at the time would tow a Swift ok. It coped ok as it turned out and my current car, Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI certainly has no problem. It looks like the only way to know what the displacement is ,is to do as you propose at the weighbridge.
I would be very interested to know the results. The amount of equipment in the boat would also make a big difference, I've accumulated lots over the years.
Cheers
Rob

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Malcolm,
I just checked on the Micro Class website and the rule quotes a minimum weight of 450kg but no maximum.
http://www.microclass.org/page.php?page=part4
I think we should always treat displacement figures in particular in reviews etc with a pinch of salt.
Did you weigh your boat with or without engine, anchor etc?
I've got a figure of 1200kg all up, in mind from somewhere!
Rob