In praise of bearing savers

Discussions related to Swift trailers
Terry
Cruising

In praise of bearing savers

Post by Terry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 pm

I have to admit, I was not that convinced that they were going to work and the problem is, once I’d fitted them they didn’t look that easy to get off! Consequently they have remained on for the past three and a half years. It was only when the brakes seized on that I was forced to investigate. These had not faired so well because the linings had come away from the shoe on both sides in spite of flushing with fresh water after each immersion. Of course, now that I have discovered that with plenty of bashing with a mallet the bearing savers come off reasonably easily, I will strip the hubs at the beginning of each season as I used to do. Anyway, enough of gripes, what I really wantto say is that bearing savers work .
For those unfamiliar with these items (As I was) they work by filling the bearing space with grease under spring loaded pressure thus water,being under less pressure than the grease, can't get in. I thought it highly likely that the inner oil seal would leak on to the brake shoes but not a bit of it! No leaks and bearing perfect! I always take a grease gun and pump them up just prior to immersion.
The only down side is that if/when the bearing heat up the grease expands and squirts out of the overflow on to the tyres (I’m probably putting too much grease in but I’d rather be safe than sorry.)
Terry