New engine required

Discussions related to outboard engines
shaun
Under way

New engine required

Post by shaun » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:13 pm

My current Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke is on it last legs and I and going to have to buy a new engine. My old one let me down again yesterday when I to the Mrs out at sea (first time this year for her)/ As you can imagine, it was not a calming experence!!
The well is apporox 15inch long (sail no 141) and I am not sure which engine I should get?
Do I need a long or standard shaft, 4 or 5 hp..etc?
I have spoken to a local dealer who has some Yamaha 4hp 4 strokes standard shaft lengths, from just before the price increase (thats what he told me) for £629 (after increase £850). is this a good engine to get, and will if fit???
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shaun

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:27 am

Like you, I use a 4hp 2 stroke (Mariner as it happens) but my next will be a 5hp 4 stroke. I think the 4 & 5hp yamaha fits the well but have a feeling that its height from the clamps inhibits the use of the well cover (not 100% sure of this). As for shaft length, most people raise the bracket height because a standard shaft, or even a short for that matter, puts the prop to low in the water.
Just one point, the well cover may make things look tidy but I personally don't like it. I want to be able to get at the engine and you can't do that with the lid on and the tiller fitted.

shaun
Under way

Post by shaun » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:40 am

I purchased a new Mercury 4hp 4 stroke engine and its great! Lots of room in the well, but as you say the cover does not close (think it will need lifting a few inches). The new engine pushes the boat along much better than the two stroke. At just above start position (i.e. tick over) the boat does 4 knots. I thought about a 5hp, but the 4hp 4 stroke does what I need and I would not say the 5hp is worth the extra expense.
Thanks for the advise, it helped me greatly.

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Incidentally, I was told on good authority, that the 4hp 2 stroke Mariner/Mercury etc., was the same as the 5hp but just had smaller jets. I'm not sure whether this also applies to 4 strokes though. Of course, if you change the jets bang would go any guarantee

Robin Rew
Under way

New engine required

Post by Robin Rew » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:44 pm

To clarify the Mercury 4/5 hp differences, I think that it is more likely that the choke size of the carburettor would be increased as well as the jets, so don't try mucking about with them!
It is worth using Shell V-Power fuel in both 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Much cleaner running and easier starting.
SNIPE
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:21 PM
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: New engine required

Incidentally, I was told on good authority, that the 4hp Mariner/Mercury etc., was the same as the 5hp but just had smaller jets. Of course, if you change the jets bang would go any guarantee.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Wasn't planning to really but it's just annoying that there's £150 difference in price.