Which engine?

Discussions related to outboard engines
last_tuesday
Under way

Which engine?

Post by last_tuesday » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Who likes what?

If I was going to to splash out of a nice shiny new 4 or 5HP four stroke, what would be the pundits choice?

Yamaha
Suzuki
Tohatsu
Mercury/Mariner
Honda
or another?

helenandpete
Under way

Which engine?

Post by helenandpete » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
I am just going to buy a new engine and have been thinking of having a 5hp Honda. I think Honda make a good reliable engine and the 5 year cover with the great dealer / service network seems good. Anybody got any comments or ideas about why I should not go for it? The only thing that I am concerned about is they are quite heavy for a 5hp at 27kg.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 November 2008 13:42
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Which engine?
Who likes what?

If I was going to to splash out of a nice shiny new 4 or 5HP four stroke, what would be the pundits choice?

Yamaha
Suzuki
Tohatsu
Mercury/Mariner
Honda
or another?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Best Regards

Peter

last_tuesday
Under way

Post by last_tuesday » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am

The Honda is no doubt a great engine, just discovered it won't fit in the well on our boat though. X(

For some reason the last of the Swifts seem to have smaller wells.

I'd just like something a bit quieter and less smelly than the old Yamaha 2 stroke

helenandpete
Under way

Post by helenandpete » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Ho No. I have just packed up my Tohatsu 5hp to send it off as a px for the Honda. Never concidered it would not fit!!
The Tohatsu is a great engine but the last owner purchased a long shaft and I want the corect engine size which I ubderstand is a standard shaft.

Anybody else tried a Honda 5hp in the engine well?

Pete
Best Regards

Peter

last_tuesday
Under way

Post by last_tuesday » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Well if the 5hp honda doesn't fit 'out of the box', I'm sure it could be made to fit with some minor engine transom mods.

My belief that the Honda engine won't fit in my boat is based purely on the fact that the previous owner was going to get one, until he measured the space available to fit it in.

It doesn't necessarily follow that an engine that won't fit in my boat ( No 407) won't fit in yours. Our engine transom looks like it's been modified to a few different specs over they years, and i'm sure I could shoehorn a Honda 5 in , with a bit of work.

I just don't want to do any work though , so a Suzuki 4hp will do fine for me :)

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Honda 5hp outboard

Post by robvega » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi David
I have a Honda 5HP on Vega (191) the transom has been raised & the cover as well. There is a small recess in the back of the well to clear the engine, all done by a previous owner. I posted some pics on the old Yahoo group, but they are not there now so here they are again.
Rob
Attachments
Cover extension.jpg
outboard well 002a.jpg
Raised hinges.jpg

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Rob,
I'm curious what are the bits of cable coming out of the cockpit lockers? It looks like the port hand cable might be the charging circuit from the outboard but it looks as if it's looped to something else when the motor isn't there? Just wondering how you have it arranged as i'm considering whether to hook up the charging circuit on my yamaha 4hp.

And is that a black cable - or drain pipe - coming out of the other locker?

many thanks,

martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

helenandpete
Under way

Post by helenandpete » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:04 am

Thanks Rob

I am going for the Honda 5hp. I am having a charging coil fitted and will pick it up at the weekend. I will not be able to try it in the engine well for a week or 2 but I have my fingers crossed.
I have attached a pic of the boat the day I got her in September. Can't wait till next year to give her a go.
I am going to raise the transom because I am going to sail her around the Salcombe area and want to get close in to the beach.
Attachments
P8300395pjs.jpg
Best Regards

Peter

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm

Martin
The cable on the port side is as you guessed the charging lead, just tucked back into the locker to keep the plug dry in the picture. The black cable on the starboard side is for the log/depth sender, mounted on the back of the skeg.
Peter
Your new Swift looks good in the picture, unusual colour for a Swift, is that blue gel coat? Hope she brings you lots of pleasure when you get her bum wet next year!!!
Rob

helenandpete
Under way

Post by helenandpete » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Rob

No its not the gel coat but the last owners had her refinished using International 'Oxford Blue'
She looks good as the boat yard did a great job getting a very high gloss result.
The last owners spent a lot of money during the 2 years they had her, new sails, rigging (standing and running), engine, trailer, spray hood, cockpit tent, GPS, DSC radio, new inflatable and all the usual depth and wind gear. Unfortunatly they did not get the use out of her due to work and health.
All I need to do to her is the cabin lining.
Cant wait to get her in the water at Salcombe.

Picking up the new Honda in the morning. I am also going to get a small electric engine so I can use her on Rutland Water. I plan to get this at the boat show in Jan.
Best Regards

Peter

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Peter
Sounds like you got yourself a good 'un there! You'll find lots of info on re-lining the cabin on this site if you hav'nt already seen it. Its a job most of us have had to do!
Rob

helenandpete
Under way

No it will not fit

Post by helenandpete » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:40 pm

Got the new Honda 5hp and as suggested it will not go in the well. The power head is a good 30mm too long. I have looked at cutting the inner skin of the transom (back of the well) but feel this will reduce the value of the boat, so, its going back.
The dealer is giving a full refund and supplying a new Tohatsu 5hp with standard shaft and sail drive pack (electrics and high thrust prop).
Best Regards

Peter

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:05 pm

In the north Wales Boat Show (yes you heard it right, we do have such thing) I was tempted by a 5 hp Honda plus external tank for £730. With the addition of a charging coil it would have been £760 but I resisted the impulse to buy on the grounds that I hadn’t got approval from higher authority (Mrs C).
Over the next two weeks, whilst on hols, I sweet talked her around to the idea that I needed one (to be safe, you see!) Unfortunately, by the time I returned the deal was gone and the price was now £870. I always knew there would be a fair deal of surgery to shoehorn it into the well so with the increase in price I abandoned the Honda in favour of a Tohasu short shaft saildrive. I ordered one on line from a firm called National A1 Marine in Merseyside for £865.
I paid me money up front and got the usual automatic confirmation by email, then nothing! Attempts to contact by phone were met with either not being very helpful, default to answer phone, promises to get back, and generally being made to feel that I was a bit of a pain in the arse.
I managed to get the money back (thank goodness for PayPal ) and have just placed an order with Extreme Marine who, so far, couldn’t be more helpful (although it is few quid more and I haven’t taken delivery yet.)

gff_cook
Making way

Which engine?

Post by gff_cook » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Terry, that’s interesting. What do you see as the difference between a saildrive and a standard outboard?

Sent: 28 August 2009 18:06
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Which engine?

In the north Wales Boat Show (yes you heard it right, we do have such thing) I was tempted by a 5 hp Honda plus external tank for £730. With the addition of a charging coil it would have been £760 but I resisted the impulse to buy on the grounds that I hadn’t got approval from higher authority (Mrs C).
Over the next two weeks, whilst on hols, I sweet talked her around to the idea that I needed one (to be safe, you see!) Unfortunately, by the time I returned the deal was gone and the price was now £870. I always knew there would be a fair deal of surgery to shoehorn it into the well so with the increase in price I abandoned the Honda in favour of a Tohasu short shaft saildrive. I ordered one on line from a firm called National A1 Marine in Merseyside for £865.
I paid me money up front and got the usual automatic confirmation by email, then nothing! Attempts to contact by phone were met with either not being very helpful, default to answer phone, promises to get back, and generally being made to feel that I was a bit of a pain in the arse.
I managed to get the money back (thank goodness for PayPal ) and have just placed an order with Extreme Marine who, so far, couldn’t be more helpful (although it is few quid more and I haven’t taken delivery yet.)

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 pm

ENGINE LOOKS THE BIZ, HOPE YOU WILL KEEP US POSTED AS TO HOW YOU GET ON.
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18