Higher Transom

Discussions related to outboard engines
Robin Rew
Under way

Outboards

Post by Robin Rew » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:43 pm

SNIPE came with a rather dishevelled Mariner 4 which had stood unused on the transom for about 7 years. Once cleaned up and given a general service, it ran beautifully but is by no means quiet and it makes the whole boat vibrate at cruising revs.

I'm considering using hard rubber pads to insulate between the transom and the mounting.

I did have a Yamaha Malta which I used on my Hunter F1 but foolishly lent it on long term loan. It was much lighter and very smooth but had only neutral and forward gears. It didn't have a charging coil, either.

If you use a motor with a charging coil without connection to the battery, you must disconnect the field wires on the starboard side of the engine.

Anyone any comments?

jjspicer
Under way

Post by jjspicer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:33 am

Before you condem the engine for vibration or make any mods to the boat check the prop. I had a prop with a slight bend in one blade which caused a vibration and a little love tap with a piece of wood removed most of the bend and the vibration is gone.

Caution:
Do not try to kill the prop when you hit it and use another heavy piece of wood on the other side of the prop to back it up.
________
SCIENTOLOGY FORUM
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjspicer
Under way

Post by jjspicer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:35 am

Before you condem the engine for vibration or make any mods to the boat check the prop. I had a prop with a slight bend in one blade which caused a vibration and a little love tap with a piece of wood removed most of the bend and the vibration is gone.

Caution:
Do not try to kill the prop when you hit it and use another heavy piece of wood on the other side of the prop to back it up.
________
HALF-BAKED