Outboard Location

Discussions related to outboard engines
johnsti
Under way

Outboard Location

Post by johnsti » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:31 am

Does anyone have any current experience of hanging their outboard off of a rise and fall bracket on the stern rather than on the internal transom.
I have a 5hp Honda which operates ok on the raised transom I have put in but it does take up so much room in the boat.
I am thinking of putting the outboard on a bracket fixed to the stern with remote gear , throttle and engine cutout brought aboard. This would enable me to seal up the well opening hopefully creating space for the fuel tank.

I am aware of the "Scottish problems" of some years ago but wondered if anyone elase had carried out the conversion I am suggesting more recently and if so with what success . There certainly seem to be plenty of other boats of Swifts size which use the externally mounted outboard configuration.

I'd be grateful for any views and or experiences

Ian

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:42 pm

I’ve no experience of external outboard brackets on swifts so can’t comment (other than the ‘Scottish problem referred to.) Regarding filling in the outboard well, I would be interested to know how the cockpit would drain. I suppose you could seal the well above the water line and leave a drain hole

Robin Rew
Under way

Outboard Location

Post by Robin Rew » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:51 am

I used a parallelogram swinging bracket on the stern of my Hunter F1. I used to fit a 4HP Mercury for cruising, and a lovely Yamaha Malta when preparing to race This arrangement was not satisfactory for motor-sailing because of the depth changes when heeling.The Yamaha was very light and easy to remove and stow below when we got near the start line.

I do very much question using an alternative to the inboard well which I think is a good arrangement, given a suitable motor. My 4hp Mariner is ideal, only excepting its vibratory tendencies. I would much prefer a rubber-mounted motor, as my Honda used to be. I did have a 7.5 Honda twin on a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser and that was a superb smooth and economical engine but too heavy a lump for the Swift 18, I fear.

It would be necessary to beef-up the transom considerably if one was to mount an outboard on it.

Robin Rew
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 12:31 AM
Subject: [Swift 18] Outboard Location

Does anyone have any current experience of hanging their outboard off of a rise and fall bracket on the stern rather than on the internal transom.
I have a 5hp Honda which operates ok on the raised transom I have put in but it does take up so much room in the boat.
I am thinking of putting the outboard on a bracket fixed to the stern with remote gear , throttle and engine cutout brought aboard. This would enable me to seal up the well opening hopefully creating space for the fuel tank.

I am aware of the "Scottish problems" of some years ago but wondered if anyone elase had carried out the conversion I am suggesting more recently and if so with what success . There certainly seem to be plenty of other boats of Swifts size which use the externally mounted outboard configuration.

I'd be grateful for any views and or experiences

Ian

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

jjspicer
Under way

Post by jjspicer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:10 am

My boat has a Yamaha 8hp outboard mounted on a swinging bracket on the transom and this does creat more room in the cockpit. The only thing I have been wondering about is does shifting this much weight further aft induce more weather helm.
I have actually been thinking about shifting the motor back to the original position but the hole has been covered over.
One big disadvantage with the outboard on the transom is that it is no longer mounted on the centerline, shifted to port in my case. When docking on the starboard side and needing a little reverse this can be a little more difficult than you might first think. Lots of arms and legs involved.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
John
________
MARIJUANA CARD
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjspicer
Under way

Post by jjspicer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:17 am

My boat has a Yamaha 8hp outboard mounted on a swinging bracket on the transom and this does creat more room in the cockpit. The only thing I have been wondering about is does shifting this much weight further aft induce more weather helm.
I have actually been thinking about shifting the motor back to the original position but the hole has been covered over.
One big disadvantage with the outboard on the transom is that it is no longer mounted on the centerline, shifted to port in my case. When docking on the starboard side and needing a little reverse this can be a little more difficult than you might first think. Lots of arms and legs involved.
John
________
Girlfriend Pic
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Rew
Under way

Outboard Location

Post by Robin Rew » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:25 am

One of the attractions of the Swift 18 is the inboard well for the outboard and it is much safer for use in a seaway. My only problem with SNIPE has been vibration from the 4HP Mariner, a very old unit but in perfect working order and condition.

My last boat was a Hunter F1 which had a transom mounted outboard which was a pig to use and even dangerous in rough conditions. Personally I much favour the standard inboard well.
Robin
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 6:17 AM
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Outboard Location

John

Robin Rew
Under way

Outboard Location

Post by Robin Rew » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:25 am

One of the attractions of the Swift 18 is the inboard well for the outboard and it is much safer for use in a seaway. My only problem with SNIPE has been vibration from the 4HP Mariner, a very old unit but in perfect working order and condition.

My last boat was a Hunter F1 which had a transom mounted outboard which was a pig to use and even dangerous in rough conditions. Personally I much favour the standard inboard well.
Robin
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 6:17 AM
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Outboard Location

John

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Robin

re vibration - a tip I read in NL -046:

"If you're tired of having to suffer the noise and vibration of the engine, try mounting it on a rectangle of hard rubber - you will be surprised at the improvement. The rubber should be long enough so it falls below the back plate of the engine bracket and the cups of the bracket screws. The rubber needs to be fairly tough. Mine is a piece of lorry mud flap"

(I'm not sure what you do with the rest of the lorry though)

martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

John Hainsworth
Cruising

outboard on transom

Post by John Hainsworth » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:50 am

One of the reasons that I bought a swift was that it had an outboard well.

My previous boat, a Skipper17, had a transom bracket but I found that lifting the engine on and off was a struggle, motor sailing on a pot tack lifted it out of the water, and reaching the tiller and throttle was a stretch. For that reason I cut in a centre line outboard well which solved all my problems.

I also installed closed cell polyurethane flotation in the cavities, which I find is standard in the swift so I'm a happy bunny.

All I need to do now is rebuild the rudder, replace the spreader bracket and one spreader. repair the pulpit, renew the forestay and a baby stay and then check out the rest of the rigging. The headlining is perished but I've decided to clean the interior and do a paint job.

Hopefully, I'll be on the water by Easter.

John