Higher Transom

Discussions related to outboard engines
noodle
Site Admin

Higher Transom

Post by noodle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:19 am

Swifts were designed to have a short shaft engine (15" shaft) mounted on the internal transom. The trouble is that the cavitation plate, which is supposed to be only just under the water, is too low. Some owners have raised the transom to resolve the problem but it seems to me that it would be pointless to do this and then use an engine with a longer shaft
As for external transom brackets, the problem with Swifts is that the cockpit is small; the result of which is, it's difficult to get weight forward. The advantage of being able to lift the engine out of the water might well be lost by having the weight even further back resulting in balance problems.

Also, it's worth looking at the TSA site (in links) and read the account of their last epic in Scotland. The weather was a bit wild and, in short, all the boats with outboard wells managed to keep their engines going and came through unscathed while all the boats with outboard brackets swamped theirs and couldn't use them. One owner was so traumatised by events that he promptly sold his boat on return.

Terry

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:10 am

I was just thinking what extremely good sence you were making then I realised it was me wot wrote it!!

Roger Curry

Post by Roger Curry » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:26 am

I have just bought a Swift 18 which I hope to sail off the West coast of Ireland.
The brief reference to the experience of the TSA cruise in Scotland and the performance of the outboard motors intrests me but i cant find how to access the report on the TSA site.
Can anyone point me to the correct link?
Many thanks,
Roger Curry

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Roger
Look in the 'Links' section of this site, 'Trail Sail Association', under Associations. On their site click on 'Equipment carried'
Hope this helps
Rob