Mariner or Tohatsu 4, 5 or 6hp

Discussions related to outboard engines
tmackey
Under way

Post by tmackey » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi
I am considering buying an outboard for my Swift. I understand that the 4 stroke Mariner and Tohatsu are more or less the same. Does anyone know if they fit in the well?
Also the 4,5 and 6 are the same size and weight. Any thoughts on which hosepower is most suited to the Swift. Obviously 6 beats 4 but I can get a 4 at a keen price and I wonder about its adequacy. I intend coastal and estuary sailing where wind and tide would be a factor a lot of the time. Also any preferences for either make?
Thanks,
Tom

windsong
Under way
Boat Name: Windsong
Sail Number: 133

Post by windsong » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:03 pm

I have a Tohatsu 6hp fitted to my boat. It fits ok by you will have to
remove the well cover or modify it to raise it up slightly. I can enclose a
photo if you like

Cheers
Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 20 September 2013 15:46
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Mariner or Tohatsu 4, 5 or 6hp

Hi
I am considering buying an outboard for my Swift. I understand that the 4
stroke Mariner and Tohatsu are more or less the same. Does anyone know if
they fit in the well?
Also the 4,5 and 6 are the same size and weight. Any thoughts on which
hosepower is most suited to the Swift. Obviously 6 beats 4 but I can get a
4 at a keen price and I wonder about its adequacy. I intend coastal and
estuary sailing where wind and tide would be a factor a lot of the time.
Also any preferences for either make?
Thanks,
Tom

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com).

Read this topic online here:
http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/v ... =3547#3547

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

tmackey
Under way

Post by tmackey » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you have a photo as I could see how much the cover need raising. Also, power wise, do you think it needs a 6?
Tom

windsong
Under way

Tohatsu6HP

Post by windsong » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Photo uploaded to Windsong album. It also shows the change to the cover profile to accommodate the engine

tmackey
Under way

Post by tmackey » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Perfect. Thanks.
Tom

windsong
Under way

Post by windsong » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 am

If you sail in sheltered inland waters then a 4hp would be fine. I sail in a
strong tidal area and if combined with strong winds, I think you would be a
bit safer with a 6HP

Regards
Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 20 September 2013 16:11
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Mariner or Tohatsu 4, 5 or 6hp

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you have a photo as I could see
how much the cover need raising. Also, power wise, do you think it needs a
6?
Tom

Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com).

Read this topic online here:
http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/v ... =3549#3549

Colne Bar
Under way

Post by Colne Bar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I happily use a 2.5hp yamaha to get in & out of harbour and hoist the sails as soon as possible. It can push the boat through the water at about 4kts as long as the hull is clean! It's a nice light engine, starts easily and is economical on fuel.
I agree that a more powerful engine, preferably with an external tank would be needed for extended coastal cruising.

Pompey
Anchored

4, 5 or 6hp ?

Post by Pompey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi
Just a couple of observations. The 4, 5 and 6hp engines are indentical in size and weight (for both Tohatsu and Mercury ranges), so if you go for a 6hp you can run lower rpm as necessary and always have that extra power in hand, for the spring-tidal flows, or quickly getting out of the way of ferries (I sail the Solent). I have a 6 and run it on low throttle most of the time to move at about 4knts - I find it smoother, quieter and more fuel efficient at lower rpm. Of course the 6hp is more expensive than the identical 4 and 5 engines (that's marketing for you). If you are buying new, you may wish to consider a 12v charging circuit to keep your battery charged. The usual 'sail' versions with charger are 5hp, but you can have the 12v fitted to 4,5 or 6.
Regards
Dave

tmackey
Under way

Post by tmackey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for all th advise. I think I will pass up on the 4hp and go for a 6hp

Thanks
Tom

pancho
Under way

Post by pancho » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Dave'

John from Scoot here, thank you for the loan of your single berth cushion, I have now had two made, I had yours completely restiched as the cover was coming apart, I have it on Scoot and need to meet with you to return it, thanks for the loan.

JOHN
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:39 PM

Hi
Just a couple of observations. The 4, 5 and 6hp engines are indentical in size and weight (for both Tohatsu and Mercury ranges), so if you go for a 6hp you can run lower rpm as necessary and always have that extra power in hand, for the spring-tidal flows, or quickly getting out of the way of ferries (I sail the Solent). I have a 6 and run it on low throttle most of the time to move at about 4knts - I find it smoother, quieter and more fuel efficient at lower rpm. Of course the 6hp is more expensive than the identical 4 and 5 engines (that's marketing for you). If you are buying new, you may wish to consider a 12v charging circuit to keep your battery charged. The usual 'sail' versions with charger are 5hp, but you can have the 12v fitted to 4,5 or 6.
Regards
Dave

Pompey
Anchored

Post by Pompey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi John
Good to hear you are coming along with the cushions and that was most kind to repair mine.
Let me know if you would like to borrow the font set - I'm sure they won't need repairing.
I will be around Mon and Tue next week so if you're there, let me know and I'll pop down to the yard.
If not, it will be the following week.
Just let me know what suits.

Regards

Dave

On 26/09/2013 11:58, pancho wrote:
Hi Dave'

John from Scoot here, thank you for the loan of your single berth cushion, I have now had two made, I had yours completely restiched as the cover was coming apart, I have it on Scoot and need to meet with you to return it, thanks for the loan.

JOHN
: ----- Original Message -----
From: Pompey (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org))
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org) (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org))

Hi
Regards
Dave

pancho
Under way

Post by pancho » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Dave,

no problem thanks for the loan and yes it would be useful to borrow the fore berth as well,
I am working at Hamble point on Monday so if you were to give me a call on 07715 323324 I will come down and meet you.

regards

JOHN
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:16 PM

Hi John
Good to hear you are coming along with the cushions and that was most kind to repair mine.
Let me know if you would like to borrow the font set - I'm sure they won't need repairing.
I will be around Mon and Tue next week so if you're there, let me know and I'll pop down to the yard.
If not, it will be the following week.
Just let me know what suits.

Regards

Dave

On 26/09/2013 11:58, pancho wrote:

: Hi Dave'

JOHN
: ----- Original Message -----
From: Pompey (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)))
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org) (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)) (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)))

Hi
Regards
Dave