Outboard bracket - why?

Discussions related to outboard engines
Peter Pan
Run aground

Outboard bracket - why?

Post by Peter Pan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 pm

I've recently bought Peter Pan (no. 303). The previous owners had fitted a bracket for the 4hp outboard and put a blanking plate into the outboard well. They explained that this had been done because the cockpit became swamped even in light winds. Is this typical for a Swift? I'd like to use the outboard in it's well but not at the expense of a wet crew!

Thanks

Martin.

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Outboard well

Post by robvega » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Martin,
It depends how many crew you've got! It dosn't happen with one or two on board but I've had a small amount of water in the side channels of the cockpit with four adults in the cockpit! I've got duckboards, so it wasn't a problem anyway.
Cheers
Rob

Pompey
Anchored

Post by Pompey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Martin
Rob is right, there is only a small amount of water on the floor with full crew and definitely not what you would term swamped. I know others who have duck-boards to overcome it. However, before you move the engine into the well, you may wish to consider a couple of other things.
In the well, the dwarf transom holds the engine only about 3-4 inches above the waterline and the engine can't be lifted up when sailing.
The swift cockpit has limited space and the engine does use some of that precious area.
Being on a drying mooring I had to make a 'sliding mechanism' to raise the engine when I moor, or the leg would sink into the mud blocking, the water intakes.
In my case I am seriously thinking of putting a bracket on the transom as it does offer advantages for me.
Hope that helps.
Pompey