Outboard Lift

Discussions related to outboard engines
Pompey
Anchored

Outboard Lift

Post by Pompey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi
Berthed on the Hamble, SWIFT EXIT sits on a tidal mooring which completely dries at spring tides. Lifting a wet engine out each time, even to store in the cabin, I found a bind, not least the risk of injury lifting and swinging around on the wet floor. It was time to come up with an easier way of keeping the engine clear of the mud when moored. Taking inspiration from some of the ideas for raised transoms on this site (thanks everyone) I put together the solution shown on the attached pictures and did say I would share the outcome.
To help with security, the top 'stop pins' are allen screws and locked into place loosely, so they spin if a saw is attempted and the transom wraps around them to prevent cutters. The outboard lock stops one of the retaining pins being removed, so the engine stays captive. Unfortunately couldn't upload 4th picture for some reason, showing the lock.

There is also a video on You Tube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzwl3MTWKf0
Aopolgies for video quality but I only realized the camera was in video mode half way through.

It is early days to judge how successful it will be and I am currently using a small Honda air-cooled engine until I get something larger. Hope someone finds it of interest.
Happy sailing.
Pompey
Attachments
Front View.JPG
The aluminium channel was 50x50 to get the thickness, then I cut it down to 50x25 to give better width clearance
Above.JPG
You can see there is enough clearance to fit a larger engine. I tried a Tohatsu 6hp and it seemed okay.
Stowed Clear.JPG
You can see the short shaft is almost clear of the water so I guess even a long shaft woul only be 5 or 6 inches into the water and probably clear of the mud on spring tides.