outboard engine

Discussions related to outboard engines
wayfarer
Making way

outboard engine

Post by wayfarer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 am

Hi all iam looking for a new or second hand engine 4/5 hp as the one that came with boat has no reverse malta 3hp if anybody interested. can anybody tell me what the differance between a short or standard shaft is. My hood has already been raised 4 inches. If any one has got one for sale or can recommend one it would be of great help
regards David

Pompey
Anchored

Outboards

Post by Pompey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi - I have just been through the challenge of buying an engine. The short shaft is 15inches (in old money) from clamp to cavitation plate and a long is 20inches. There is an extra long which is 25inches, so basically a long shaft is 5 inches longer than the standard or short shaft. I chose a short shaft as I am on a drying mooring so sit in mud twice a day.
Tohatsu engines, which are also badged as Mercury and Mariner engines, have a good 'sailpower' model. The sailpower models include the 12v battery charging circuit. The 4hp, 5hp and 6hp are all the same engine with different carburation settings and a different price.
Check the web for best prices and some deliver nationwide for £25. The best price I found was Ron Hale Marine at Portsmouth.
Hope that helps.
Pompey

wayfarer
Making way

outboard

Post by wayfarer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi pompey thanks for the promt reply its been a great help. Happy sailing
regards David