Solar panels and regulator

Discussions related to electrics and onboard wiring.
mjatkey
Under way
Boat Name: Blue Skies II
Sail Number: ?

Solar panels and regulator

Post by mjatkey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi, I recently brought Blue Skies II from Richard in Chichester. I've brought her over to Dublin and intend sailing her out of Rush North County Dublin. She has a small solar panel albeit which plugs into a switch panel via a cigarette type plug. Do I need to use a voltage regulator to leave it wired permanently to the battery. Would I need a battery isolator switch, if so would the regulator need to be wired to the battery side of the switch so the battery was always able to be charged? Thanks Martin

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Re: Solar panels and regulator

Post by robvega » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Martin,
You shouldn't need a voltage regulator for a small solar panel, the battery will act as a regulator.
I have a small solar panel wired via a fuse directly to the battery so it is always connected, an isolator switch disconnects everything else when the boat is not in use and I always have enough power for the season.
If you don't want to mess with the wiring you could attach the solar panel to the battery with croc clips, but I would still fit an isolator switch to disconnect everything else.
Hope this helps
Rob

mjatkey
Under way

Post by mjatkey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks Rob that makes sense. What size isolator should I use, its a 70Ahr battery.

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 am

Hi Martin,
The isolator switch needs to be able to handle the maximum current of everything electrical on the boat turned on at the same time, regardless of the battery rating!
These are rated at 100amp which will be more than enough, and are cheap enough!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTERY-ISOLA ... 56696e36d4

Rob

mjatkey
Under way

Post by mjatkey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Rob, thanks again, yes was looking at those on Ebay, will get on and order one. Thanks Martin