Mast rigging

Discussions relating to rigging
shaun
Under way

Mast rigging

Post by shaun » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 am

Hello,
Can anyone help me rigging my main and topping lift ropes. my main and topping lift snapped last season and I have to replace both. I am unsure as to how both ropes should be rigged down the mast. the main seems quite easy up the outside of the mast, round the wheel and down the inside. The topping lift rope is not. if sent down the mast as the main it would rub on the main rope. I have kept it all out side the mast at the moment as I think the rubbing may have been the reason why they snapped. I need the topping lift as I have lazyjacks fitted.
Thanks

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am

By main I assume you mean main halyard. If so this goes up from the sail peak and over a sheave between the projection thingy at the top of the mast (don't know what its called but it helps the back stay bend the mast!) The topping lift is smaller sheave just below it. Both ropes are inside the mast with the halyard exiting from the higher slot on the starboard side. Can't remember which hole the topping lift comes out of without going out to the boat which, in a force niner is just about not on at the moment.

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

mast rigging

Post by whiteede » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:26 pm

My topping lift works via a sheave at the clew end of the boom, then through the boom to a forward cleat. The lift cable itself is wire running up to a fixed pin next to the backstay connection. I didnt know that any were rigged conventionally. I might change mine as it a right bug ger to get lift via the tack end.

shaun
Under way

Post by shaun » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 am

Sorry, yes I mean the main halyard oand topping lift. at the top of my mast I can only see one pulley so if I send both ropes down inside the mast they will rub on each other. does anyone have any pictures or photo's of the rigging at the top of the mast so I can compare. I think I may be missing a pulley, but I cant see where it would go!

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:58 am

Same here aboard Cherry Pie, 8mm topping lift secured to the top of the mast passed thru aft end of the boom and adjustment via cleat fwd end of boom.
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Havoc
Anchored

mast rigging

Post by Havoc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi on havoc the topping lift goes from the back of the boom up to a pully on the thing that sticks out from the top of the mast backwards then OUTSIDE the mast to a cleat, the rope is lead behind the spreaders. Never had any trouble.
Dave

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi Dave
So the projecting thingy is called a crane! Anyway, it sounds like your arrangement is the same as mine except I've replaced my spliced wire/rope halyard for dyneema cord

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

TOPPING LIFT

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:15 am

Shaun,

Tried to e-mail you detail of Cherry Pie's topping lift but it was'nt accepted by your e-mail provider. I have taken some photo's and placed a diagram in our gallery on page 2 hope it makes sense.

Regards... Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Rondonay
Cruising

Mast rigging

Post by Rondonay » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:37 am

Jimmy Green marine will splice galvanised wire to rope halyards.
Pauline

Apr 11, 2009 10:15:26 AM, forum-rigging@swift18.org wrote:
Shaun,

Tried to e-mail you detail of Cherry Pie's topping lift but it was'nt accepted by your e-mail provider. I have taken some photo's and placed a diagram in our gallery on page 2 hope it makes sense.

Regards... Gary

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Dave, Off the top of my head I think its 9mm ( small enough to fit the sheave but thick enough to handle easily) A lot less hassle than splicing wire to rope anyway.