main sail rigging

Discussions relating to rigging
giraffe
Making way

main sail rigging

Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Hello again, I am now the proud owner of S313. "Aperitif" previously sailed from Beaumaris and Abersoch, and from a couple of appearances in past Newsletters I gather was sailed on Rutland Water from 1993-97 and prior to that was possibly originally named Virgo and sailed by the Association's first Racing Officer (which may explain the above water-line repair on the starboard quarter). I'm hoping to place her on Windermere this summer.

To begin with I'm trying to get to grips with the rigging, and there's a simple point on which I'd be grateful for some advice.

The attachment of the mainsail tack. Under full sail does the tack attach by the cringle (eg on the reefing hook)? There's also a thin cord which looks like it could be attached to the gooseneck. Or is there some kind of Cunningham arrangement?

many thanks
Martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

Rondonay
Cruising

main sail rigging

Post by Rondonay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:05 am

Have fun with your new acquisition. There should be a pin for the tack that runs through the mounting just below the reefing hooks.
Pauline

Jun 29, 2008 07:02:36 PM, forum-rigging@swift18.org wrote:
Hello again, I am now the proud owner of S313. "Aperitif" previously sailed from Beaumaris and Abersoch, and from a couple of appearances in past Newsletters I gather was sailed on Rutland Water from 1993-97 and prior to that was possibly originally named Virgo and sailed by the Association's first Racing Officer (which may explain the above water-line repair on the starboard quarter). I'm hoping to place her on Windermere this summer.

To begin with I'm trying to get to grips with the rigging, and there's a simple point on which I'd be grateful for some advice.

The attachment of the mainsail tack. Under full sail does the tack attach by the cringle (eg on the reefing hook)? There's also a thin cord which looks like it could be attached to the gooseneck. Or is there some kind of Cunningham arrangement?

many thanks
Martin

Martin Lea

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

gff_cook
Making way

SPAM-MED: main sail rigging

Post by gff_cook » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:04 am

Hello Martin

Welcome to Swift sailing. Be glad to see you on our home waters of Windermere – testing even tho’ not tidal: do make contact if you fancy another Swift’s (Quadrille – s/no 60 – moored at Ferry Nab) company.

The mains’l tack on Quadrille is secured at its bottom cringle at the gooseneck by a clevis pin passing through a lug formed by two parallel spurs on the upper surface of the boom (the pin being secured with a split ring). On Q’s mains’l there is a second cringle some 12” above the tack – this would b the purchase point for the Cunningham downhaul – ‘tho’ the line and probable block and cleat that would be sted lower on the mast are missing from Q: I mean to install them soon.

Good sailing!

Geoff Cook

Sent: 30 June 2008 00:03
To: forum-rigging@swift18.org
Subject: SPAM-MED: [Swift 18] main sail rigging

many thanks
Martin

Martin Lea

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:20 pm

The tack is attached via a pin between the two ram's horn hooks. I you look on my intro picture in the gallery thats definitely not how its attached!! Its actually correct on my Holyhead bound shot. Better still, look at Rob Courts picture 'Swiftwind in Cardiff Bay.

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Martin
If your boat has been raced in the past its quite possible a Cunningham has been fitted, but thats not standard, & most of us manage without!
Rob

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Martin
If your boat has been raced in the past its quite possible a Cunningham has been fitted, but thats not standard, & most of us manage without!
Rob

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks for suggestions. I had another chance to investigate. There's no pin between the ramshorn (no slider on the gooseneck either). I'm trying different options but if i tie it off at the gooseneck using the cords i can't get enough luff tension to set the sail. Of course the sail is old.

The running rigging needs replacing. The old sheets are 12mm on main and genoa, and look to be far too big in the mainsheet blocks which seem to be designed for about 8mm, although that might be hard on the hands... Is 8 mm enough for the loads? What do people usually use on a swift please? 8, 10, 12...

Thanks for the help
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Geoff, Pauline, Rob,
many thanks for your earlier replies which, due to some gremlin in the works i guess, seem to have only just now arrived.

It looks as if the gooseneck/boom fitting on Aperitif is rather different from what you describe. Maybe this is a 300 series change? I've put a photo in Aperitif gallery.

Meeting up on windermere sometime sounds like a very good idea -- and I like the sound of sailing on Ullswater too. This late on in the season though it looks as if my mooring choices are very limited and i'm taking one on Coniston - at least for now. However i'm keen to try the different lakes too so I dare say i'll be exploring the advantages of a trailer-sailor!

cheers,
martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"