Control lines

Discussions relating to rigging
hopkinss
Run aground

Control lines

Post by hopkinss » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:50 pm

I'm thinking of renewing halyards etc and leading them back to the cockpit. Has anyone else done this? Did you encounter any problems? I appreciate that the cabin top is a sandwich and will need reinforcement, but I was wondering about the siting of deck organisers and jammers and what sort of fitting at the foot of the mast will be needed.
Regards
Steve H

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

re control lines

Post by robvega » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:14 pm

Steve
Have a look in the old Swift association newsletters No 28 on page 12 Chris o Brian describes doing this very thing on his Swift 'Cicada'.
That said I led my control lines back in a similar way last season. I did'nt bring the reefing lines back but am in the process of doing that now. I,ve attached some photo's of Vega as she is now with no ropes on. I've got new organisers to fit, but space is restricted by the vents on Vega. As you will know Clutches are expensive so I'mtrying to see what else I can use. I used clamcleats for the spinny up/downhaul, spinny halyard & boom topping lift last year & these were ok but for the Main Halyard I aquired the Spinlock PXB cleat (closest to the hatch on the starboard side in the pictures) I may have to get a couple of clutches for the Reefing lines. All the fittings were screwed to the deck last season but with the extra load from the reefing lines this season I think bolts will be required.
Hope this helps
Rob
Attachments
DSCF0628.JPG
DSCF0627.JPG
DSCF0625.JPG

hopkinss
Run aground

Post by hopkinss » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Rob
Thanks for the reply. Quinag has only one vent on the cabin roof and there should be enough room for the deck organiser to clear it.
I need two lines on each side, main and genoa halyard, and topping lift and vang. I can reach the reefing lines by standing in the companion way on the keel housing.
I was thinking of using two Spinlock Mini Jammers, which retail for around £36 for a double (reviewed in last month's PBO), but I do want to be able to use the winches for a bit of extra umphh.
What I can't quite see from your photos is how you have attached the turning blocks to the bottom of the mast. It looks like you have used the bolt through the vang fitting.

Regards

Steve

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi Steve
Yes I forgot to mention how the blocks were fixed to the mast step. The large block for the main halyard is as you noticed fixed with the vang fitting bolt. The other smaller blocks are attached with eyes bolted through the mast step side. The two blocks for the reefing lines will be attached to the vang shackle.
I can reach the reefing lines from the hatchway at present but find it difficult to pull forwards along the boom (away from myself). I sail singlehanded a lot so need to make things as easy as possible, & leave the helm for as short a time as possible.
I've just seen the Spinlock mini jammers as well, thats a lot better price than the usual for clutches!
Rob