Rigging

Discussions relating to rigging
noodle
Site Admin

Rigging

Post by noodle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:51 am

And as a new owner with the original Jack Holt sails (just about serviceable) perhaps someone can supply a little guidance on rigging. My sails came in their bags so I'm working from scratch - I think I can work it out but an advice would be appreciated. The genoa is easy enough but there are a lot of fittings on the boom...

Do you knot the slab reefing lines directly to the alloy cleats/attachments on the boom? Up through the sail then back and into the boom?

There are three such attachments no the boom end, the middle one for the topping lift, the other two? I haven't attempted this yet but I guess we have some form of clew outhaul arrangement.

How does everybody attach and tension/adjust the tack of both sails?

I am sure some of these questions are a little purile and will become obvious once I raise the mast, attach the boom and get the sails out of the bags, but it does sound worryingly like doing a jigsaw puzzle without the lid of the box.

Thanks,

Simon Baker

noodle
Site Admin

Post by noodle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:53 am

Simon

I am going from memory and I have to think at the start of every season when I rig the boat ! Senior moments!
The reefing lines come along inside the boom , one on either side, up and through the reefing eyes (one from port side, one from starboard) then down and through each alloy fitting on the boom - secure with figure of eight knot. I am struggling to visualise the rest. My topping lift attaches to a fitting on top rear of the boom. I also, like others have mentioned, have a short strop attached to the stern halyard which is a quick boom support fixable from the cockpit when light handed.

I will have to check when I rig the boat at Easter and get back to you.

regards
Robert